NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks! New to the forum and also new to fishing the Pungo for trout this time of year. As the water cooled down over the last few weeks the fishing heated up. But I have not been in a couple of weeks and I believe the water temps are below 50 degrees now. I have never done colder water trout fishing on the pungo and was wondering if anyone was willing to give advice on where to go. What to look for, etc. I have been fishing the Pungo for the last few years and am still learning the river. I usually fish the lower Pungo. Slade, Jordan, etc. Have not been up river much and i assume the trout are moving that direction. Any advice would be great!

·
Registered
104 Posts
As the water temperature drops the fish will move further into the back of the mentioned creeks as well as Pungo, Pantego and the couple of other small creeks further up the river. Most days (but not all) I do better catching trout away from the bank. I try to look for water in the 4 or 5ft range this time of year and use suspending lures mainly. I always keep one curly tail grub tied about 2 feet under a clip on cork. Most of the time I just drag that one cork behind the boat. it is a good indicator if I have just moved over fish, especially if I did not catch one while casting. For me, that is an indicator I may need to get further away from the bank. I also will cast it from time to time and just reel at a slow constant speed. The grub and cork is not fancy but my kids will wear you out with that method. I guess it is easy for them to control the speed and the lure stays in the strike zone the entire time.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks lbg3! I have heard that the trout move in to water that is as deep as 20-30 feet. I would much rather fish the way i have been and just slow it down a bit. I assume looking for the little holes in the creeks would be key. I really like the idea of floating a cork or 2 behind the boat. thanks for that!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.