NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hung out on the docks Saturday evening and did a little stringing for blue crabs. Had great results. Fished the lower Pungo Sunday morning from around 6 to 9:30 caught 15 or so flounder with 3 keepers and 1 nice drum which was missing his famous badge on his tail. Fishing was still a little slow but all the action the rays were causing kept you busy.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Nice Haul........

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I just drop em in a pot of boiling water with a bunch of Old Bay seasoning.
What's the best technique for steaming crabs?

Reactions: RouseD

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take a big pot put about a inch or two of water in it. I have a 2X4 cut to fit in the bottom so my metal basket which i have the crabs in does not touch the water and only gets hit by the steam. Old bay, little butter, and then enjoy.

What's the best technique for steaming crabs?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I steam the in a large pressure cooker...put some ginger ale or beer in the bottom and put the crabs on one of those expanding baskets. Pour on a good bit of Old Bay, close the lid and heat. When the rocker starts rocking, time about 8 minutes and dig in...after safely releasing the steam pressure, of course!

·
Registered
662 Posts
We have a pot steamer. its just a big pot that a smaller pot with holes all around fits into but stays off the bottom of the larger pot. We always use a mix of water, vinegar, and beer to steam them in. Put lots of old bay on them while they cook.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
They will be completely red...the shells turn red in the cooking process, but it's mostly about timing. If you open a crab and the meat is firm, it's done. IF its still slimy or squishy, it's not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One of these days I'm going to take the time and combine Mumbo Pungo's method, which is tradional Eastern Shore Maryland, with the eastern nc style (boiling whole or cleaned). I'll clean the crabs while alive and fresh, then steam them over 2 parts water, 1 part vinegar, and 1 part beer, with tons of old bay poured directly on them. That should really allow the flavors to get into the meat without making it soft and watery.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In late August 1998 I ran into a man at CB Marina that was pulling a large boat out of the water, rigged with some prety serious trolling rods. I asked what he had been fishing for, and he said that he had been unsuccessfully targeting King Mackerel back and forth across the mouth of the pungo. However, he did manage to pick up 8 of the prettiest big fat spanish I've ever seen. He did say that he had actually caght kings out there in late summer previously. Since then, I have targeted spanish down on the lower pungo a few times in mid-late summer and had some limited success. neveer really tried very hard, but they are out there at times. It probably does depend to some degree on rainfall, salinity, etc. I've caught'em just trolling clark spoons and sipping my favorite beverage. Nothing sophisticated. Just like at the beach you might pick up a bluefish or lizard fish. I remember being surprised to catch a beautiful pompano at SQ a few years ago. Just goes to show how incredibly diverse the western pamlico can be.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
if we have a dry season and days of easterly "ish" winds it drives the salt so far inland you can catch bluefish in Washington , Tarpon are often spotted in Chocowinity bay and I've seen flounder caught in Greenville.. So spanish in the Pungo? yes I can beleive that but agree that "targeting" them might be in vain unless you already have solid reports or know the conditions well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts