NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, my name is catbird, and i have a place at kennels beach off the neuse river. well im going back again this weekendto catch somemore puppydrum in the one two two pound class. they are starting to school around the docks in early morn ,and late evening. some flounder also. i use a castnet to catch my bait on the docks also,thats great. get up walk outside to the dock catch bait, catch drum, and flounder. what else could you ask for. i do throw back the drum, but i keep the keeper flounder. i caught one drum last week with 11 spots and one with 7 spots, they are such beautiful creatures, dont you agree? got run , catbird

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hi Catbird. Welcome to the site! We've got a place down in Oriental and fish down that way every chance we get. I've been over to Kennels Beach a couple times and we have friends from church who've owned a house there for years. I've heard stories about the flounder coming into that area in the "old days" and how folks would get up in the middle of the night and head out to gig them when they were so thick you could find them everywhere. I'm not sure when that happened last but hopefully the flounder are doing okay on the Neuse. We catch quite a few right off our dock on the Oriental waterfront.

Maybe we can wet a line someday. :) Tightlines!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi ncangler, going down in a few moments to the cabin, its the little one between the two hugh homes right in front of the swimming area and the boat ramp if your down come on by, being that we are not far from each other.ill be on the long pier next to the swimming area or on the front deck of the cabin. there will be a white f150 longbed ford infront of the cabin, cant miss it. if not maybe some other time. got to run, catbird

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got back ncangler, and want you to know the manhaddenjust started schooling this morning in the river down by my cabin,so let the bigger fish come.water must be getting a little cooler, and were there is bait the bigger fish will surely follow. i might be back next weekend,hope so. oh ,by the way, only caught two drum this weekend,and had one bruiser th break me off. (what is your friends name at kennels). got to run ,,,,,,,catbird

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
by the way ncangler, my name is don green, and my father"s is m.h. green,if you pass his name on to your friend he might know we are. we have had a place down there since i can remember, and im 52 now. ive caught some mighty fine fish out of that area. got to run,,,,, catbird

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hi ncangler, just wanted to remind you that the flounder and drum are biting in the mouth of beards and dawson creeks, my friend caught several keeper flounder and drum, one was 23 inches,drum that is. hope this helps. by the way ,did you sell your boat yet?the 210

got to run,catbird

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Hey Catbird. Thanks for the tip. I've fished the mouth of Dawson before but not Beards. I haven't sold the boat yet. I've been out of town a good bit and haven't shown it to anyone yet. We were planning to take it down to Oriental this weekend but with the price of gas going crazy I don't know if we'll go or not. Things are a little crazy right now. Our prayers sure go out to the folks on the Gulf Coast. It is hard to fathom the destruction and despair that must be setting in there.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well ncangler, how did you do. give me the scoop cause im going down this weekend of the 10th. please let me know where they are hanging out. hope you had a great time. got to run ,catbird

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
We didn't take the boat down because of the gas situation and a short weekend. It was a beautiful weekend though and very relaxing. Wish I could pass on some good information. I did a little flounder fishing along the shore but didn't get any hits. I hope you have good luck on the 10th! Keep us posted so we can fish vicariously through you! :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ncangler ,changed our minds about going down on the 10th. now we decided to go on the 16th,the following weekend. i think the fishing will be better that weekend water temp should be cooler and the flounder will be in closer to shore and the puppies will surely be barking around stumps and docks chasing all those bait fish. what else could you want,other than the good LORD blessing you with these fish. got to run, catbird

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.