NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll have a tally and report later,, (gettin ready to grill some mahi and grupah's for dinner right now..) :)

Here's my short report for yesterday (sorry for the time stamp on the camera... had to change batteries in the heat of battle and my camera reset itself...)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tally was for the keepers:

1 king mackeral
3 trigger fish
3 gag groupah's
4 pinks
1 very nice vermillion snapper
2 Mahi
1 medium shark

We lost or hooked and released:
1 sailfish
2 king mac's
3 mahi
10-15 sharks (lost track on those things...)
5 too short red groupers
a few gray grunts and too small pinks/vermillion snappers
and one unidentified huge fish that spooled one of my Okuma's.. (just couldnt stop it!)

GREAT day!! fishin was busy busy busy. We busted the inlet before dawn and were on the 1st grouper hole with lines in the water at 6 a.m.
Started trollin 10 miles out from the grouper hole and had our first hookup with a king mac, lost it due to a pulled hook, right after that we hooked a sail on the squid daisy far back rigger on a Williamson squid (pink), it jump'd about 3-4 ft in the air and by the time we got to the rod it had thrown the hook. That was all within the first hour of fishin... great way to start the day! Picked up a king finally and boated him using the Yozuri bonita lure (black and purple and a new lure for that fact.. now with some nice teeth marks on it! HA!!), lost one more king and then pressed to the groupah's...

First line in the water,, bang! 30 lb black, 2 more followed after that. Caught some sharks as they moved in, so we decided to run a bit further out to my other grouper spots, then bang!,, same thing.. this time reds. They were shorties so we thru back all of them and started boating triggers and pinks. Again, sharks moved in and we pulled up to look for better water.

Found blue water up by the Esso area and fish'd around the Esso rock. Mahi everywhere.. so we chunk'd them up to keep them around and we lost 2 nice ones at the boat (one was a gaff knock off...) and boated two.

Anyway.. long story short, great make up day trip with my neighbor Martin and his boys. They all did a great job from getting ready the day before, during the trip and even helpin clean up the boat and cleanin all them fish this morning. If we hadnt been interupted by neighbors stoppin by this mornin.. we coulda had them fish all cleaned within 2 hours... but was fun to see them show off their catch.

So that's it, and my next report will be from the Fla fish fest trip.
Mike tried to call ya on the radio.. but couldnt get ya.
Al,, many thanx brother!! YOU sir helped Martin's young boy put that king (his first king ever in the boat!!).. you know what I'm talkin 'bout! ;)

The kings/sails were in the 30 mile range in greenish water a bit south
Mahi's are in the blue water at the 40 or so mark a bit north
Gag's all within the 45 mile range ledges in about 116-120 ft water
Spanish chasin glass minnows in the 5-6 mile range

Later guys.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
What a memory for those young men! Your hard work and preparation paid some fine dividends. I gotta big ol smile when I read the part about Martin's young lad catching his first king on that bonita. I have a feeling you would have had something good in it's place but we know that worked at a good time. Kinda makes you feel better about getting a little over the hill. On that note you had better fill him in on the sunscreen/skin cancer issues because with his fair skin he is very prone to get it later in life if he gets bluewater fever. (I can't see that not happening.) Thanks for the report. AL

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Nice job Dave. Looks liek you guys really made out. soryy I missed your call - I was on the water from 2-5 pm Sunday - tried to call you several times as well.

We went out today - planned on fishing 16-20 miles all day but the forecast was wrong, the seas were mixed with swells from two directions due to the overnight wind change and the there was lots of chop on top of 4-5 foot swells. We did go out for a couple of hours and pulled a few kings into the boat, then headed to the beach and pulled clarksppons and caught some nice Spanish the rest of the day.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx guys, and I surely did pass on 'great job' comments to the crew. They did an outstanding job and were alot of fun to have on the trip out (first time fishin with them).

Lot's of firsts on that trip. The youngest boy talked non stop about wanting to catch trigger fish... :) Jay, the older boy saw the pictures in my garage of the groupers we've caught in the past and made a passing comment about how he'd love to hook a big grouper... again.. :)

the thing that made the whole trip though, was the sail. they got pretty charged up when that thing walked the line over the two port side lines and then took to the air. Everyone on the boat saw it,, so that was pretty cool. Of course, would've been nice to get a picture with them with it... but that's what will keep'm goin back out. All we heard all the way home is about that king mackeral... ha ha hah a... that boy was still talkin it up today with his friends Martin said. Lot's of firsts for them, the grouper, mahi, trigger and king. I was just happy to put them on fish, made me feel good to see the young guys get that turned on to that type fishin.

Al, yeah, I offered up sun protection for them and set it out in the cup holder on the lean post for them to use. (Spray type SPF 30 and a cream apply type Sunblock as well)... so it was there and offered for them to use,, I applied mine when we first set the troll lines right as the sun was coming up. Al, I'll post pix too of how that pretty bonita looks now!! I ran two of them, and they both got mauled!! :)

Sorry I missed you too Mike, I tried you when we were out out.. and when we were about 20 out, then 10 out, called ya at the inlet and while waitin at the launch (oh, what a ugly mess that was) to get the boat on the trailer (almost took 45 minutes of floating around and waiting... very long wait) about 4:30 pm... I'll get up with ya down the road here I'm sure (fathers day for sure if your out).

Forrest, I'll admit,, bein that patient to get a good day like is hard, so I savored the moment for sure! I wish I could post the video we shot of the run in... we ran wide open throttle all the way back (it was that nice!). I do know,, I will pay for that with 4 trips of gettin beat up.. but that's ok! ha ha ha ha.....

Mike, we saw loads of spanish 5 different pods of them, 5 or 6 or so miles just a tad NE of Masonboro (S of Dallas Rock area)

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sinker man said:
when I read the part about Martin's young lad catching his first king on that bonita. I have a feeling you would have had something good in it's place but we know that worked at a good time
Al, you can see my older one with the rusted hardware, and the newest one.

The older one got hit before, but got a nice chunk taken out of it this go round.. and the new one got broke in for sure!! :)

Hey man,, thanx again!! (Mike... you might want to get at least one black/purple one!!) :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.