NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeffo and I legitimately scheduled duly-entitled vacation days and went to check out Queens Creek at nearly-full-moon today. Too bad the fish didn't want to come say howdy. It was a nice day to be out -- a bit warm, but not really worth complaining about. More water down there than we've seen in the Raleigh area in a long time -- no warning signs about dangerously low water, no beached cruisers...

I caught a trash slam -- including my first-ever clam-lookin-thing. I could not get the hook out -- it sure looks to me like this fella clamped down on the hook... just like a fish was supposed to. Anyhow -- clam, oyster, and grass for me. I landed about four baitfish borrowing Jeff's cast net. Oh yeah, and a pair of lizardfish. All on Gulp Shrimp... never could get anything interested in the live baits.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Re: Queens Creek, 9/25

That clammeat on a Carolina rig is irresistable to a Red. Sorry to hear you didnt fare better but it seems to be a first light to sun on the water bite around here and then it dies until dark thirty..

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

My knife has a blunt tip, not a chisel tip -- I couldn't convince this guy to open up. I let him have the hook and the gulp. I figured he'd relax eventually. So no clam meat bait. :(

Sunup at the coast is awful hard to reach from the Raleigh area. <YAWN> Due to several circumstances (expected and not) we didn't launch until ten-ish.

Al, we launched on the northeast end of the Queens Creek Road bridge -- the near end on the left when you're coming from 24. Is that Shell Rock Landing? There were lots of rocks, don't recall the shells...

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts

Here's the rest of the story...

There were rumors of large redfish lining up to surrender to kayak fishermen offering live bait in Queens Creek near Swansboro. Lefty and I set out to validate. Mission accomplished: Rumor quashed - no such activity found.

Started off shaky. I cracked the base of my fish finder while taking it off the kayak - now the little yellow push button won't stay inside its housing. I was 20 mins down the road toward Lefty's house when my phone rang - home (what're they doing up at this hour?). The smoke detector whose battery I just replaced a couple weeks ago is going haywire at 5:30 in the morning, of course. Turned around, got the ladder, put it out of its misery and started over with a 45 min delay.

Found Lefty and got on the road without incident. Launched as the tide was heading back out of the Creek around 10:00 from a primitive ramp on the Swansboro side of the Queens Creek bridge. Piece of cake for kayaks, even doable for small trailered boats. Watch out for ants making themselves at home in your vehicle while its parked there:mad:!

Spent some time reintroducing myself to the cast net (6' mono that I'd bought many years ago to catch some fishies in the surf for the kids to look at). Got to where I could make a decent throw while standing. Much, much harder from a seated position in the kayak! But we were able to stop & get all the bait we needed. 2 flavors: I think one was juvenile pinfish - skinny panfish looking guys with little rainbow stripes. Are these any good as bait? The other was a more minnow looking bait (see pic of half-a-bait below for identification). Headed out along the south side of the creek toward the mouth.

First fish was what we're calling a lizard fish (pic below). Not sure if that's their real name or not. i'd never seen one before but its got a flat triangular head like a lizard. Then a 14"ish flounder at the 2nd spot. Went back into a backwater area and caught a tiny flounder but nothing else for a couple hours until we got a couple more of the lizard fish. paddled toward the mouth and back down the north side of the creek where the puppy came.

I'd say we didn't get a bite using the live bait, but that's not quite true. Got at least half-a-bite.

Not sure that we did anything "wrong" but probably several things we're not doing right. I'm still not at home in the salt. I've had some success in confined tidal creek areas on the barrier islands but put me in a big shallow bay and I'm pretty lost for figuring out what structure holds fish and what doesn't. The learning process comes slow at one trip every couple of months... We fished the minnows on Carolina rigs with 12-18" leaders. Caught nothing on them. All fish were caught on gulp shrimp & jig head.

Still a great day on the water - hot but not overly hot. Breezy but not pushing us around too much. Easy paddling with the mild current. Got a show from the Ospreys - military - I always appreciate a little heavy air cover. We caught a few fish. We learned that we can throw a cast net and catch bait. We paddled a new area. Lots of people not nearly as blessed as to skip a work day and spend time outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,639 Posts

Thanks for the detailed report!

That first fish is a Lizard fish. Yes pin fish make good bait if they aren't TOO big, I usually cut off the first set of dorsal fins (the ones that gave the fish its name) to make it easier for the targeted fish to eat. Makes a good flounder bait, also good in the ocean for grouper, black bass, etc.

I see ya got that flounder on a Gulp! shrimp rigged on a jighead. That's my "go to" set-up when nothing else is working. If they are there and interested in eating, that will usually attract them.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I thought it was a silver mullet but I'm no expert on them by any means. Either way, ones that size are generally refered to as finger mullet by most fishermen. They are good baits. Pinfish, pigfish, small spots, croakers, menhaden and mud minnows are all good baits.
Yes, the Shellrock landing I was refering to is just a little south of the mouth of Queen's creek. I doubt you guys got that far.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
YEah man if it was the day there was a strong wind, it was hard for me to catch bait. anyway I hear that queens creek is great for for reds. last time i was there i got a flounder, a skate, and a ray. it was fun. Im gonna try a little south oif there this weekend in bear creek just south of hatteras yachts, and the swansboro marshes. ill be the only dummy in a bass boat!!!!

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I thought it was a silver mullet but I'm no expert on them by any means. Either way, ones that size are generally refered to as finger mullet by most fishermen.
It could be a silver mullet. It is very hard to tell the difference between the two when they are the same size (in this case, finger size) and you only have half a fish :D. The best way is the caudel fin of the Silver Mullet, which is edged in black, making a V, but it is of course missing in the picture. I guessed striped (black) as it's the more common in these parts.

Did some one say Half-a-fish? :eek::rolleyes::D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.