NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Seeking advice on best place to launch a small skiff (16' Towee) to access Queen Creek. I've read some older threads, but hoping for some current advice to avoid a surprise at the end of a 2 hr drive.

Is the private launch at the end of Great Neck Landing Rd still in operation?

I see Shell Rock Landing, but looks like a tricky trip to get to the creek areas I would like to fish.

I saw some mentions of a launch at the Queens Creek Rd bridge. Satelite looks like it is probably appropriate for canoes and kayaks. Do people launch small trailered boats there?

Thanks!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello CB - Wish I could help. I don't know the upper portion of that creek. I have fished near the mouth of Queens Creek and the intercoastal using the Hammocks Beach ramp. I was able to use it because I had a Ft Fisher annual beach pass and that gets you free ramp access at most state parks. There is also the Cedar Point Wildlife ramp but that's a bit of a haul.

Not sure how sold you are on Queens Creek, but Bear Island holds some nice fish.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Look up ncpierman he used to post here a lot. I think he has an instagram account. He knows that place religiously. Maybe try and shoot him a direct message.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Closest public ramp is Shell Rock. As TomnNC noted, you can launch from Hammocks Beach State Park, but there is a $7.00 fee and trailer parking is very limited. It's closer than Shell Rock though. The area you mentioned by the bridge is limited to canoes and kayaks. You might be able to get a small jon boat in the water there, but I don't recommend it. Queens Creek is pretty difficult to navigate. The channel is narrow and the creek is filled with oyster rakes. Go slow until you learn your way around.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts