NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I posted in my last post that I was going somewhere friday. I wound up getting up with a friend of mine and he took me to Queens Creek in Swansboro. We fished around the grass and docks at the mouth where the creek meets the ICW.
The water was gin clear,water temp around 54-55. Despite the bait fish being pretty thick in there there there were no predators in the area.
You know no fishing adventure is complete without an adventure to get things started. We left from sport shop kinston at 630. Trolling motor weren't working (brand new trolling motor). Spent an hour at advance auto in Swansboro figuring out that the butt connector from the ground wire had come loose from the plug so finally got on the water around 9 or a little after.
I hooked up with a big flounder about an hour after getting on the water but he came off at the boat. My friend caught a small flounder in the afternoon. Other than spooking a few flounder off the bottom that is about all we seen.
We did see some bird activity for a few minutes late in the afternoon when the tide at turned. Believe it was drum feeding. Saw some big pushes.
My friend got it to bite but missed the hook set and it spooked him out of there.
I don't know if it was the water clarity or the cool water but nothing doing.
My buddy said he had never seen the water that clear in that area and he has never fished there this late in the season.
Maybe the rest of you had better luck
James

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Talk to NCPierman he knows Queens like the back of his hand... he has great luck in that area and is always willing to share!!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
You need to go further up the creek past the old 4H camp to really find the reds. In front of the camp where the creek goes left there is a big oyster bar that is the Bell Hole and has some trout in it. I caan tell you that one cause evveerrryyooonnne knows that hole. There are some good trout holes back towards the ICW but it would be difficult for me to exactly describe the location :D. Be very careful once you go past the 4H camp it gets shallower and the amount of prop eating lower unit bustin oyster monsters increase of course that is why the reds are there.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. That 4-h camp is it toward the bridge from the mouth of queen's creek and the icw, past the bridge?
Next time I get back that way I will have to try those areas.
Speaking of trout and reds, what do yall feel is the time you quit fishing for them? The water temp was around 54-55 the other day and nothing was going on.
I've been thinking of going ahead and adding the stabil and putting my baby(boat) up for a little while since it's turned so cold but there is nothing I like better than being out on the water with a rod in my hands if there is chance of catching something but with gas gone up so high I hate to just be out there burning gas for nothing.
What bites this time of year between now and when it warms up again?

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
For trout Jan. 1 is a good last day to fish unless we get some warm days in Jan. Reds in the surf can be and are caught into Jan.

The 4H camp is between the ICW and the bridge about midway on the right coming from the ICW.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
well now thats good info!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
It's your turn TA!!:D

Okay - I'll offer up a spot. It's fairly well known to most regulars in these parts but if you are new to the area it might be helpful.

It is called Uttley channel and branches off the ICW and connects to Nixon's channel which heads out to Rich's Inlet. It is a great spot for Drum from July - Sept and Specks from Oct - Dec. Flounder any of those months. Also keep that marked hole in mind too - on really cold mornings, that is a good spot to try. I've attached two maps - one with details and the other is an overview to help locate the spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Just Remember When You Go Past The 4h Camp There Are Lots And Lots Of Prop Eating Lower Unit Busting Oyster Monsters
BRING 'EM ON! :D
(I love not having a lower unit.)

I found your unnamed trout hole that day Jeffo and I went down there -- right up fairly close to the bank on the west side -- saw the bottom drop out of my depthfinder for a good 10-20 yards...

Gonna have to hook up with you or NCPierMan one of these days...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
It is called Uttley channel and branches off the ICW and connects to Nixon's channel which heads out to Rich's Inlet. It is a great spot for Drum from July - Sept and Specks from Oct - Dec. Flounder any of those months. Also keep that marked hole in mind too - on really cold mornings, that is a good spot to try.
I might need another memory card (maybe they should call 'em "memory specks") for my GPS...

GOOD STUFF!

·
Registered
135 Posts
:eek: Trout fisherman sharing holes?? Reckon it might be time to get out the knee boots and go snipe hunting! ;)

Spechunter - Don't suppose one of those Prop Eating Lower Unit Busting Monsters of the rock variety lurking out there near that MHC secret spot, is there?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.