NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question ...... why not use standard braid instead of speciality backing(other than price)?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I do it both ways but less and less top shotting with braid.
Like Brenardo said, a coupla wraps of electrical tape on the spool is enough bite to prevent slipping.

300 yard spool of 30 pound Power Pro is just right for a 6500 series reel. No waste.
If I top shot I have it done at a tackle store just so I don't have to buy more braid then it takes.
Those leftover remnants of braid on spools add up in cost.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assume you are asking about fly reel backing. Read this.

http://midcurrent.com/gear/gel-spun-for-fly-reel-backing/
Thanks ....... shoulda said Fly Line backing .... posted it in the Fly Fishing section and just left it as understood, didn't think about it showing up in New Posts.

Prolly just being cheap but I'm thinking about un-retiring my old 7/8 wt and I have some #40 Suffix that most likely will not be used for anything else. Just trying to save a ten spot......

Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I've used Power Pro and Gel-spun with no issues for false albacore. For the backing to line connection, I made a double loop in the braid (bimini twist then fold the loop over and do a surgeons knot) and loop-to-loop connect it to the fly line...going thru the fly line loop twice to spread the pressure out over a larger area of line surface. Doubled loop in backing and running it thru fly line loop twice seems to work well. Tips to prevent slipping work well...as does putting on a few feet of dacron backing first.

If you are using the reel for freshwater and it's not likely you'll be run into your backing....knots and connections may not be as big a deal as it can be in saltwater. On freshwater reels I see a lot of non-recommended "stuff" used as backing...trotline, masons line, nylon cord, old mono etc.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! This one will likely to be used mainly in the salt but I don't expect any long runs unless I hook a ray. In which case I'll have to sacrifice a fly and some leader.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.