NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok! Right now I currently have a humminbird 597 ci hd at the back of the boat. However, I am looking to upgrade my electronics and am thinking of sticking with Humminbird, or switching over to Lowrance. The 597 is a good unit, just feel like I'm not getting it to perform the way it should! I would love to get a unit with side imagining and am lost as to where I should put the upgraded unit. Should I put a really good unit on the front or keep it at the back? I want to be able to work on drop shotting and get right above the schools of fish. What is everyone's input? Everyone talks about how they are able to follow their lure down on the graph. I have not been able to achieve this with the 597.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I keep getting a lot of extra images on the sonar! It looks like lines of grass underwater but I will stay there all day. I can take a picture of it next time I'm out

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I will get pics if how it is mounted tmrw! I have played with the settings a little kept switching from max and clear mode, the lines were still there

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
That looks like interference to me.

Is there only one fishfinder on board?
Or, are you close to another boat in that pic?

Otherwise, what frequency are the 2D sonar and Down imaging set at? If they are both at the 455 hz frequency that may be causing the problem. If that's the case set the 2d sonar to 200 hz.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They were both set at 455 and yes that is the only fish finder on board. I keep these lines all the time even when I am in clear calm water with no one for miles

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Try changing the 2d sonar to 200 hz and see if that doesn't solve your problem.

The 200 hz will give you a little bit wider angle cone too which will make it easier to see your jig. The 455 hz has a very narrow cone so it makes sense you have trouble seeing the jig.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
If you only have one unit and you have the transducer on the transom and fish of the sides or front, that is why you cant see your jig. You have to keep the jig right under the transducer. Personally if I had one side scan unit I would put it at the helm as most of the time you would utilize side scan when searching a bigger area. I dont side scan near as much fishing on the front as I do when I am idling around looking. Side scan works best when moving at a slow steady speed, on the trolling motor you are starting, stopping and drifting every which way, which can blur your images.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Side scan on the front mounted on the trolling motor is a waste of money imo. Every time you turn the motor it will distort the image. SI on the transom, straight up sonar on the front is how I would go. I have the SI version of your same unit, the 589ci DI SI, and I can't say I have any of the interference you're seeing with the vertical lines. I don't know enough to be able to troubleshoot, but something about your settings or your mount would be my guess. In clear mode, lures are harder to pick up, but in max mode you should be able to follow your bait down. For that, though, you would do better with something on the front since most people aren't vertical jigging under their engine.

I am on a budget right now and considering the Onyx series for a front unit so I can do what you're talking about. But the SI will work best on the transom.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I am on a budget right now and considering the Onyx series for a front unit so I can do what you're talking about. But the SI will work best on the transom.
I think you may have meant the Helix series, the Onyx is the top of the line touch screen. If I'm wrong then congratulations on your fishing electronics budget. :) I have just about decided to pull the trigger on the side image version of the Helix. Tough to beat 2-d, side imaging, and GPS for under $500 even if the screen is pretty small.

As for the OP, like others I think it is interference. It could be coming from your wiring and/or trolling motor. You might want to try running power straight from the battery on a dedicated line.

This might be helpful.
http://www.humminbird.com/Category/Support/FAQ/Trolling-Motor-Interference/#

And here is a good forum to look for other advice.
http://www.bbcboards.net/humminbird-sonar-gps/

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe you have talked me into leaning more towards the Helix 5 SI. Yeah it is a smaller screen however the landscape view will make it seem much bigger than my 597. The price is also more in my price range!

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
I think you may have meant the Helix series, the Onyx is the top of the line touch screen.
You're right Andrew, I meant Helix series. I definitely can't do the Onyx series hehe. I don't have to have the HD, I just want a sonar with GPS up there so I can mark structure I come across and use the SD card to move those spots between my front and console units. Can't beat the price tag on that unit, assuming it performs reasonably well. I have found the SI useful for scanning for bait balls and finding creek channels in an area, but otherwise it's not been an essential feature for me. Having it on the transom is fine, I don't need it up front.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You're right Andrew, I meant Helix series. I definitely can't do the Onyx series hehe. I don't have to have the HD, I just want a sonar with GPS up there so I can mark structure I come across and use the SD card to move those spots between my front and console units. Can't beat the price tag on that unit, assuming it performs reasonably well. I have found the SI useful for scanning for bait balls and finding creek channels in an area, but otherwise it's not been an essential feature for me. Having it on the transom is fine, I don't need it up front.
I agree, I already have a 788 ci HD DI unit that I put on the transom but the down image is not particularly useful there. I would move the 788 to the bow and put the Helix on the transom. With that I have down image, side image, GPS, and maps for a total investment less than a single 8 series side image unit. The only downside is screen size. The upside is my eyes are getting worse and I have to put my face closer to see things anyway. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.