NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I decided to go out on the Pasquotank River for a few hours this morning before it became too unbearable. As we were preparing to launch I opened my dry storage to retrieve our PFDs. One of my type III inflatables had deployed and deflated. This is twice now that this has happened. I am wondering if it is the heat that is causing it, but if that is the case why not all three of them? :confused: Has anyone else had a similar experience with Type IIIs?

BTW, I was crawling a DOA shrimp in hopes of enticing a flounder when I hooked a small largemouth bass. That was a new one on me! We had some fun with a couple of white bass before calling it a day. All in all, a nice way to spend a Sunday morning together.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
if any moisture builds up it can activate/release the bobbin.. that's the only thing I can think of unless the tag end was snagged on somethin.

Then again.. if you have kids... :)

Could write the manufacturer and ask them.

I store mine off the boat when not used (in the garage). I have a manual belt type pfd, not the auto type, so I dont have that bobbin that will disinegrate if it gets wet.. if you have an auto inflate.. only thing I can think of is moisture gettin on it somehow.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Question About Type V PFD

W.D. I've been meaning to get back to you on this matter of the type V inflating in dry storage. After further investigation, it would appear that my dry storage is not exactly dry storage. I had a hand towel in the compartment that had some mildew on it and some evidence of water intrusion. I remember the last time I was down at Manteo, I took some wash over the bow as the fleet was on parade going out Oregon Inlet. It must have been enough dampness to disintegrate the bobbin. Anyway, the good news is there is a spare in the PFD pouch, the bad news is I have to buy a replacement for the replacement, but what the heck, that just makes that tackle monkey happy.:D

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Good deal that you know what it is now... yeah, doesnt take too much to set off the automatic bobbin especially if in a damp area for extended part of time.

Always good to inspect and even inflate at least annually - most replacement cartridges and bobbins can be purchased at most boat/tackle shops and online retailers (BPS, Cabellas, West Marine...)

When not wearing mine, I'll have it in the electronics box on the ttop or in the lean post storage, but mines a manual pull.

Good, at least you know you'll need a recharge pack and will be "ready" if you should ever need to use the pfd! ;)

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
After a career in Uncle Sugar's Canoe Club and seeing more than enough people end up in the drink, I decided to go with the automatics because you can get disoriented going overboard unexpectedly and not always realize which way is up to the surface, or worse you may be unconscious when you enter the water. I do manually inflate all of mine at least twice a year and routinely inspect the arming kit. I did review the literature again and noted that it is not recommended to stow them in excess of 120 deg. F. I'm sure that in the compartment, under the cover, in ambient temps exceeding 95 deg it probably exceeds 120, so maybe it was the heat. Either way, they are now stowed in the garage until needed.

Just as a side note, this past 4th of July a husband and wife took their 21 ft boat around to see the fireworks. On the way home a squall caught them at the mouth of the Pasquotank. The water got rough quick in the shallow sound and the wife ended up in the water. The husband turned around to find her, the boat broached and he went in, too. She swam from crab pot to crab pot and finally made it to shore. They rescued her the next morning. They found the boat later that day adrift and found his body the following day. Neither of them were wearing a life jacket.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Sounds good man. yeah, could be the heat too.. heat has been very high lately. I've seen them "just inflate" when moisture builds up on that bobbin release.

Good deal... nothing like puttin a wet or moldy PFD on... garage or some place off the boat is inconvenient.. but keeps them PFD's in good shape.

Repacking them and recharging them is pretty simple.. we'll have fun with it and let the boy deploy it in the pool when testing ours, good practice for him as well should he end up in the water with an inflatable PFD on. Once he's big enough, he'll start wearing the inflateable type.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.