NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your favorite artificial for Bluegill/Panfish and how do you fish them? I have always been a live bait guy my self(for these guys) and am just curious about what every one else uses.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The best I have found is the Panther Martin spinners. Just this past wednesday, we had great sucess with them even on a falling baramiter day, just ahead of a low pressure. Reds Like them too. Al

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have had success catching crappie and panfish using Worden's Rooster Tails.

The only trick to using these guys is to make sure that the blade is spinning on the retrieve. (If you notice that the blade is not spinning, just give the rod a little jerk and that should help it get spinning again).

You can get them for ~$2 at Dick's Sporting Goods.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some of both the Panther Martins and Rooster Tails how fast or slow are you doing the retrieve and are you adding any action or no?

·
Registered
38 Posts
well everyone has listed the bait and vertical is usually the way to go for crappie. i personally when using a spinning rod i will use beetle spins and catch some bass on them to. but i personally think the best way to catch bluegill artifically if you have the means is to use a fly rod and go from there the poppin bug works good and so on. the fly rod is what you will see a lot of older or should i say experienced fisherman using when they are not using spinning takle and if you also notice they are extremely quite when bed fishing anyway

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Dry flies for panfish on top with the long rod.

Green sunfish will suck them in with abandon.

For deeper subsurface waters a woolly bugger is tough to top for bass and sunfish.

For big panfish a Beetle Spin or small Yo-Zuri plug is good.

Rock bass will slam a Yo-Zuri in rainbow trout color.

I prefer live baits though- nightcrawlers, minnows, crickets and grasshoppers.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I caught some HUGE bream last year with bettle spins in white with red and adding a pink Gulp maggot to the hook. And rooster tails with bronze/gold blades. I also like to add a gulp maggot to the shank of a worm hook with red wigglers too...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
What color of these are best crummy? The bass assassins.

·
Registered
18 Posts
All baits listed above are great options but a really versatile option that I like to fish is a Mepps Aglia (size #1,2) It has a chartreuse blade that really helps you out in murky conditions that we often have around here. The versatile part about this lure is that it allows you to catch the bluegills and crappie but also gives you a fair chance at a decent size bass that we often see in the same area as these panfish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.