NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading down to the coast for a week of fishing and had a question about the tides. I'm targeting reds and flounder mostly but if I happen to get into some trout that would be alright too.

If hide tide is between 9 to 11am for the week. I'm kayaking so I'll have about an hour to get to where I'm fishing.

Normally I fish the rising tide, high tide and the falling tide. I catch most reds close to the slack high tide and trout and flounder on the rise and fall. Am I doing it right and if not, what's the best stage to target each fish? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
The best stage to target the fish on is the one you are able to fish. When you find fish it is important to note the level of the tide and you can then likely come back to that spot or similar spots on the same tide tomorrow and catch fish again. They are feeding somewhere sometime on any given tide. As an angler it is your responsibility to find out where and when. Then you get to do the easy part and catch them.

I don't have a favorite tide to fish as long as I have moving water. High tide pushes them up in the grass where I can find them tailing and it doesn't get much better than throwing to tailing reds. On the other end of the spectrum low water concentrates the fish and you can catch more in one spot. There are of course always exceptions to this rule. Good luck and I look forward to a report when you return.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
fish can be caught on any tide, just move around untill you find a spot they're chewing. As long as you got some current or moving water you should be able to find some fish.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's more or less what I thought. I usually try to find current regardless, especially for trout and flounder. Dead low tide is my nemesis, I can't seem to do much at all at low tide. Would it be best to look for a deeper hole with current going over or next to it?

This year I plan on fishing Snow's Point just across from the CB state park. Other than staying out of the channel is there anything I should watch out for? Is it safe to venture into the cut a bit as long as I stay near the bank on the side opposite the state park? I know the current is too much to safely navigate the entire cut in a yak but I don't think it would be bad against the far bank as long as stay close and don't venture in far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts