NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know someone here will know how to do this. I'm putting an aluminum floor in my boat and just spanning the ribs that go across the floor of it. The aluminum I'm using is just about 1/8 an inch thick. To give it a little support between ribs, and to add some flotation to the boat since I cut one of the bench seats out, I was going to place some of that rigid house insulation between all the ribs. My question is, what kind do I use? I've been told some of it will absorb water, which is obviously no good. Anyone know what I need to buy?

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
If it is closed cell than it should not absorb water. My question is why are you putting an aluminum floor? Most folks use marine grade plywood if putting in a floor. Are you going to install some non-slip covering over the aluminum? Have you considered using a spray on liner such as is used for the inside of truck beds?

·
Registered
840 Posts
If it is closed cell than it should not absorb water. My question is why are you putting an aluminum floor? Most folks use marine grade plywood if putting in a floor. Are you going to install some non-slip covering over the aluminum? Have you considered using a spray on liner such as is used for the inside of truck beds?

My thoughts exactly. I just used a sheet of plywood with some waterproof carpet stapled to the bottom of it. When the wood rots, just cut another piece and re-staple the carpet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the aluminum will be a bit lighter, also, I have it already, and don't have to buy it. I shouldn't ever have to replace it either, once its in, its in. I'm going to go ahead and carpet it for now, if that don't work out, i'll buy the roll on bed liner and do that later, but i have the carpet already so i'm going to use it first.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I figured it was a Use what ya got deal.. Been there! Just make sure it is closed cell foam. (Guys that sell it can tell ya, probably Lowes/Home Depot will do). The flotation really only helps if the boat is full of water. Keeps it from going totally under and I hope you never have to test it!!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
One quick thing, if your boat has a floor in it you will need a fire extinguisher in the boat. The false bottome will trap gas fumes and such and the man will get you if you don't have a fire extinguisher, seen it several times.:eek:

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
I would think the aluminum floors will increase the noise transfer, this is one of the reasons folks put in a wood floor. Noise tranfer is less on the wood than on the original hull. The insulation may reduce this. I would recommend that if you are going to use the aluminum that you have that you use the very thin vapor barrier insulation used under laminate wood flooring like Pergo. The carpeting should work fine as a slip resistant covering. When I mentioned the spray in liner I meant in lieu of installing a floor.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
One quick thing, if your boat has a floor in it you will need a fire extinguisher in the boat. The false bottom will trap gas fumes and such and the man will get you if you don't have a fire extinguisher, seen it several times.:eek:

Tight lines <*)))))>{
ha ha, I'm reminded of the time I went through an online vessel-safety self-check thing on the web. It busted me for fire extinguisher, it busted me for lack of ventilation in the engine compartment, all kinds of stuff... It never seemed to get the picture that IT'S A KAYAK!

I guess that's another advantage for sit-insides, you don't have a floor so you don't need a fire extinguisher!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.