NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see pics of the striper and salty boats with all the rods out, and they're always bent in half (I don't think they've always got ginormous fish hooked up on every rod. except for the guides of course:)).

Is that tension between the rod and the cannonball? Or is it tension from the size bait being trolled, transferring through the weight and up to the rod? Does it somehow translate into a snap hook-set when a fish takes the bait?

Seems like a lot of pressure on the gear. Never been on a boat with it and just don't understand what's going on.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Typically, downrigger rods have a very soft tip and get more rigid as you go down the rod to the butt. The are made this way to deal with the necessary bow in the rod.

The bow helps take up the slack in the line when the fish pulls the lure or bait off of the release clip. The bow does not set the hook, the fish does that himself when he pulls the lure or bait off of the clip.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is the tension between the rod and the weight, or is it constant all the way back to the bait? I'm wondering how the release clips can hold that much tension, but still let go when a fish hits the bait.

Gonna have to stop at a store on the way home and bend some downrigger rods to see what you're talking about. Might need a couple on the kayak when I get this striper thing figured out!

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
1. - The pressure between the rod tip and the release clip stops at the release clip - it does not pass to the bait until the clip is released.

2. The clip's release point is adjustable, you set it so it doesn't trip with the pole bent at trolling speed but with the ADDED pressure of the fish taking the bait (the pressure on the release is accumlative) it trips and releases the line.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
when deep water trolling there can be as much as 30 foot loop in your line between the rod and the cannon ball..even with the rod bent bowed. i liked to add a cheater rig to this loop.

zooker

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hey Jeff, I want to see those rods and downriggers on the yakker when you go get those rocks. That would be a first I bet. Good questions and good answers from all. You guys are good.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hi Backlash. That guy standing up in that yakker must be nuts. I'd fall in for sure. He must be attached to some wire from a helicopter. Water is mighty smooth, no wind, and for a fat man like me no way. Good site though. I stand corrected, but I'd still like to see someone actually do it. LOL

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.