NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,
I hope someone has some knowledge they can help me with. I am looking to buy my first boat. I am currently looking at a 2000 aqua sport. it is a 18' center console. it does have a salt water trolling motor, fish finder/chart plotter, wash down, live well. from the pictures it looks to be in very good shape, the owner told me on the phone that the motor and everything runs very well. I believe it is equipped with 3 batteries. also comes with a 2000 trailer as well.

My question is, how much is it worth? what would something ya all best estimate be? I know you have not seen it and all that, but anyone else buy a 2000 18' center console or a owner of a aquasport?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The bulk of the worth is the engine. Don't ever buy a boat without having the engine checked out by someone qualified to do so. The boat can look like a million dollars but without an engine, it's worthless monetarily.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
Search online classifieds for similar boats and see what they are going for. Pretty sure there is a website that will tell you blue book value aswell. Like drumrunner says, have the engine checked out and also insist on a test drive if you are serious about buying it, if the owner wont go for that he may be trying to hide something.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Always have the motor checked out thoroughly including a compression test on EVERY cylinder. Value is based more on what they sell for around you than what a book says. water test it, let it sit in the water at least an hour too and hit the bilge pump and see if it is taking on water. Check all the live well pumps all the electrical as these are key areas that may need attention after 14 yrs of saltwater usage. If the batteries are 2 seasons old they mean nothing to the final price as they can die at any time. Check trailer over well from underneath. It can look perfect and rotted through underneath. Have the mechanic testing the engine jack up the wheels and spin them and check if the bearings are smooth or loose. Keep in mind if he says something like "its hardly been in the water, or its been sitting here unused so I just need to sell it. Plan to have fuel issues from water condensation and fuel being stale. Question EVERYTHING! If he has no patience for you he is either a bad salesman or knows it has faults he doesn't want discovered.
Here is one good example locally of a similar model. He is asking $6500 which probably means $5500-$5000 would buy this boat.. http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/4748874588.html There are a lot of boats in this price range so if that's where you are at look hard. A clean well kept older $3500 boat can be far better than a clean looking poorly kept $6500 newer one

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.