NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

After speaking with a few anglers in the last couple of months, it seems like braided line is a great thing to try out for me. I've only got two rods I fish with and from what I've heard it can be a really versatile line that's great for a lot of applications. I've done some research and found a couple of good knot options for tying a fluorocarbon leader to my main braided line, but not much about tying the braid to the mono backing.

From what I've read online, the braid if it's tied straight onto the spool will slip and cause all sorts of issues, and primarily people will use a mono backing on the spool. Do you guys have any suggestions for types of knots to use for this mono backing to braid mainline connection? Help would be greatly appreciated.

Any other general tips would be nice too! I'm looking forward to spooling the rods up with a new kind of line, I just want to make sure I'm set up right with it to make the most of the change. Thanks for any advice and pointers! :D

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
A wrap or two of electrical tape applied over the first wrap of braid tied to the spool will keep it from slipping. I uses Uni to Uni on both ends of my braid. Unless the water is really clear I usually don't use a leader at all, top water and twitch baits being an exception. If you don;t us a stiff leader with those they give a lot of trouble with fouling the braid on the hooks of the lure.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Yes if you don't use a mono or flouro leader on topwater and twitch pause lure the limp braid will lay in or on the water and let the lure glide into it and get hung up. But for cranks, jigs, worms, and such I just lie directly to the bait.

NCPEIRMAN,
I usually tie the same knots, they work well and are quick and easy.

Drum Runner,
I tied on some leaders with the FG knot and they work great. I am going to have to improve a great deal before I can do it in the boat or yak.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Drum Runner,
I tied on some leaders with the FG knot and they work great. I am going to have to improve a great deal before I can do it in the boat or yak.

Darrell
You and me both. I don't have to tie them often. Surf fishing I usually top shot about 30 feet of mono on the braid. That 30 feet usually lasts a good while. Coupla times this fall i sat down at the shop and tied the FG over and over using the hand, knee, and foot method.
A fixture makes it easier in some respects, but then you have to drag around a fixture. They make some small fixtures but they are expensive. 80-100 dollars. My homemade one was just thrown together and it probably weighs 6 pounds and it won't fit in a pocket or a tackle bag. Essentially it was built when I first ran into the FG. Just never improved on my design.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.