NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some firsts I need guidence with :

My first SOT is scheduled for delivery this week.:D Of course, I'm on call for the next bit, but that will give me time to get it set up proper like.

When I get able to roam abit, I hope to take it down to the ICW (mostly it will fish lakes/ponds here in the middle of the state). I'm thinking of putting in off of Fish Factory road (IIRC the spot correctly)and my questions are...

What would I expect to catch in the area?

What rigs? I'm used to bass/pan fish rigs so this is all new to me

Is there a route I can take from putting in as mentioned above, let the wife spend the day messing about the area and she meet me farther down near South Port?

I should dig out my ICW guide, but I'm not sure it will give me insight for kayaks.

Thanks!

Peter

Edit to correct speeling error :)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You should find a nice variety of fish...it's a good area: drum, trout, flounder etc. As far as rigs, you'll find some great suggestions on this forum for popping-cork setups and lead-head jigs with Gulp products; some good suggestions for addding scent like Pro-cure to lures and baits; and some suggestions on top-water walk-the-dog lures. Well worth the effort to go back and review old threads on lures and on the area. As I recall, as you turn down Fish Factory road, there is a tackle shop on the right and you may find a good bit of local knowledge and guidance there.

There are a bunch of channels etc. to explore and fish, especially on the opposite side of the ICW...pay attention to the tides... As far as I know, the only route to Southport is paddling the ICW...which can be a little "interesting" with big cruisers etc.

Since this is your first SOT, I recommend studying up on self-rescue techniques and practice them in fresh water and have some other rescue-related gear like whisle, light, VHF radio, chart of the area or smartphone app, antibiotic cream for cuts, protective footwear, insect repellent, paddle tether/spare paddle etc... when venturing into saltwater areas. Also read up on anchoring/stake out poles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I've been checking out as suggested. I'll be spending time getting used to my SOT at the local ponds prior to launching in the ICW. I've spent years in sit-in type and even a bit of white water in the mountains. I've already got the radios and maps from a prior existance.

I aprreciate the response and sage advice. Thanks!

Peter

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still practicing. But I think I have all I need sorted out and loaded for fishing. Need a different cooler. Really liking the SOT!

IMG_20140622_105629_400_zpskf18m1bt.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts