NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a fly rod out fit to pick up some albies this Fall as well as try to pick up some slot sized drum up on the Neuse.

• Can I do that with the same size outfit? Which one?
  • What line would be the best?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Hey Gaffer- I'm going to going out to Cape Lookout for Ablies for the first time myself this year. I have done some looking into this and this is what I found. The advise that I have received is to go big on your equipment. The average Albie will be between 8 and 12lbs. The large equipment is needed not because of their size but because the once hooked they head for down for the bottom and a rapid speed. A 9wt is recommended as a minimum rod weight with a 10wt being preferred for the heavy lifting required. Based on what I've read I'm going to spool my 10wt with a weight forward intermediate line and tie up some glass minnow patterns. I have found my 8wt outfit to be sufficient for the Redfish and Speck fishing that I've done but the prospect of Albies is another story. The first Article that I found on North Carolina Albacore fishing was titled " 8 Weights come here to die". For me that says it all for the equipment that I going to be using. Sounds like it will be a blast. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
If you go to light on the albies they will die on you. That's not a good thing. They are stong fighters and they don't give up. It's best to be able to put some pressure on them and get a relatively quick release.
Keep in mind that glass minnows are very small so your flies need to match the size and shape of them. Look them up under bay anchovy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.