NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put payment on this 1994 Stingray 609 with 600hrs on the hull and the Mercruiser 4.3l. Only ever used in fw and I got it for it a song! Does have an issue though...suspect it froze this winter and cracked the intake or even the block. Ran great for about 20min then started smelling oil and it's leaking water and oil out of the top starboard side. It is mixxing in the crankcase but did start and run smooth as a quick test. Only paid 1500 for boat and trailer so I can't complain. Seller just put In new water manifolds and water jackets. At worst, I do have a connection at the marina where I could get a could deal on a used engine if necessary but knowing that the 4.3l's are prone to cracking intakes, and seeing this issue in boats, I'm leaning towards and hoping that's the only issue.

I plan on asking a lot of questions as boats are a whole new world for me. (A's far as maintenance and ownership) The plan is to swap out some interior and make it more fishing friendly and add a few drop in rod holders. Will be used primarily in fw with the occasional salt foray (which honestly scares me...but got keep fiancee happy haha) What's going to be the best way to get the oil and water mixture out?

What's a good repair/service manual to pick up?

Should I be worried if I dip it in salt on occasion and flush it out with a water hose as soon as we return home?

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Believe with an inboard, you would have to pump the oil from the crankcase. Looks like a pretty good deal, even if the engine is shot. Probably not the best design/layout to be primarily used for fishing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's going to more of play boat that I'll be able to fish from. From what I've seen the Stingray's are the FASTEST runabout hulls you can get, especially for the price. This one with the 4.3l will do 53mph all day long stock!

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Yes, you need to suck / vacuum the oil out. But being you have a cracked block, might as well plan on replacing it.
If you expose it to salt water, yes, wash the boat and flush the engine.
Remember all the safety items you need for the boat.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I have an outboard, so it may not be a good comparison, but I run mine mostly in fresh but visit the in-laws 2-3x per year where it's salty (Gulf coast, panhandle Florida). I hose down the whole boat and trailer exterior and then flush the engine with fresh water immediately after every use, and after 4 years I have not yet seen any problems.

I'm not mechanically inclined enough to help with your other issues, but as for salt, if you rinse and flush thoroughly and immediately, I think you should be ok. A trolling motor will make almost any boat somewhat fishing friendly, by the way. I had mine mounted on a quick-release plate so that I can take the entire troller off if I need to get it out of the way. Haven't had to do that yet, but it's an option.

Good luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm...quick release sounds like a really good idea...

And thanks dbream but Asheville is a bit of a haul for me...haha! Appreciate you looking out though! I have a line on a boat with good running 4.3l and good drive and trailer for 800 a little more local just have to find out year/etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.