NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had our club tourney at Holt last Sunday, and what a surprise! We've been holding events at this little lake for the past 10 years or so, and it's gained a reputation as our 'dink lake', but the past few years somethign seems to have changed!

Used to go, fish around the grass to pick up our dinks, THEN go fishing for a keeper, used to be the guy who caught one keeper was in the money, caught a large keeper, or two, and they pretty much were going to win. Not anymore!

The past two years, can't remember before that, our big fish of the year was set there. Heck, as bad a fisherman as I am, I caught a 4 pounder there in practice, but the weigh-in this weekend went 19lbs for first, 12 for second and 8 for third! Holt is out of the way, no boat traffic to speak of, perfect for our little club. It's gotten me excited to go back to this lake!

I guess there's not really any other point to this other than give that smaller body of water near you a try, no hordes of people, no waiting in the line to launch, and some good fishing is waiting!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Aint that the truth. I fish a lake that will go unnamed thats right smack dab in the middle of the city. No fishing pressure to speak of and i catch some monster crappies. Got one last week that went 15in. I`ll post a pic soon. lots of times, the best fishing is so close its overlooked.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes! The same above applies to Michie, if you can get in there! I dont' know why, but they built the ramp on the river side, about 4ft. at the bottom of the launch, and when the summer drought hits, it's off limits, but great fishing in the spring :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.