NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After hearing the fishing might be good on radio island thats where sure-shot (jon) and I went....We arrived around 530-6 pm with fresh shrimp and some finger mullet ready to catch fattys....LOTS of baitfish swimming around, had cut mullet out on the bigger rod and shrimp on the bass rod. No hits at all on the mullet and I caught 5-6 small fish (i think pinfish or something) to beat the skunk....jon also caught a few small fish, nothing big. But I think I may agree with some of the talk of fall comming very soon. Beautiful day yesterday. On the way back to the car saw some fellow anglers loading there gear up...asked if they had luck...guy opens a big rubber bucket/trashcan FULL of NICE sheephead, asked what they used for bait etc and they couldn't speak good enough english to tell me, he said something about getting it off the rocks....mussel?? crabs?? Z

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Probably Mussels maybe barnacles. Fiddler Crabs are the most popular bait. Sand fleas (Mole Crabs) are good as well as shrimp. Live shrimp are easiest to catch them on provided there aren't many pinfish etc around to kill them. Usually pinfish kill them too quick. Fresh dead shrimp pieces work in a pinch. You have to stay focused to have any luck catching them on anything other than live shrimp. They are real sneaky eaters generally. Search sheephead and you will find some good info on them.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Fiddlers are a sure fire for sheephead. there is a great article in the NC SPortsman from last month on it. To be honest, I dive that spot and can't figure out how you can fish it with out loosing your rigs! (I find a lot of them down there)

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The easiest bait to gather are sand fleas. They work well for Sheep Head. You can find them in the surf expecially under the piers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.