NC Angler Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In general, how long does it take after a rain for creeks to have fishable numbers of specs, drum,etc.? It rained yesterday, so will it be bass and brim on Saturday, or trout and drum? :confused:

·
Registered
833 Posts
If it's tidal it gets flushed twice a day. If it isn’t, they aren't likely to be there to begin with...
Im not sure what you mean by this....the entire Neuse River, Pamlico River, and Western Pamlico Sound are non-tidal, and they are stock full of everything year round.

Flounder, stripers, and trout were biting strong yesterday...just find the bait.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
.the entire Neuse River, Pamlico River, and Western Pamlico Sound are non-tidal
That may be true as far as having to worry about getting stuck or having noticeable current, but technically speaking those areas have tides. Here is the tide chart for the Pamlico at Washington (about as far inland as it is called the Pamlico):
http://www.myforecast.com/bin/tide_..._code=27889&metric=false&tideLocationID=T7132

It's only a foot or two that far up, but they do get water surging in and out on a tidal cycle. Salt doesn't swim upstream; the tides have an effect further than you have to worry about them as far as navigation goes.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
That may be true as far as having to worry about getting stuck or having noticeable current, but technically speaking those areas have tides. Here is the tide chart for the Pamlico at Washington (about as far inland as it is called the Pamlico):
http://www.myforecast.com/bin/tide_..._code=27889&metric=false&tideLocationID=T7132

It's only a foot or two that far up, but they do get water surging in and out on a tidal cycle. Salt doesn't swim upstream; the tides have an effect further than you have to worry about them as far as navigation goes.
Please notice that the reporting location says Core Creek Bridge. That's not on Washington. That is in Newport/Beaufort. There isn't a lunar tide on the Neuse, Bay, or Pamlico Rivers. That salt that doesn't swim upstream, gets blown with the wind, just like the water. Winds cause the rise and fall that you see.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Haha how is it science?? It literally doesnt exist as per DMF and NOAA. There is at most a negligible 4"-5" lunar tide fluctuation for those bodies of water. This not opinion, its scientific fact. If you want...you can come stay at my house on the creek for a year and measure the tides.

·
Registered
833 Posts
You get very argumentative over things you know very little about. You dont even understand how the rain affects these bodies of water, and you regularly ask how to fish them, yet you want to try and educate and dispute those who literally spend their lives with the water literally in there backyard.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
There is a lunar tide fluctuation for those bodies of water.
I "edited" your post just like the media does. Makes it seem like your "spinning" your statements?
I'm just messin BUT you do say there is a tiny bit of tidal impact albeit 4-5" at most😁

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
You get very argumentative over things you know very little about. You dont even understand how the rain affects these bodies of water, and you regularly ask how to fish them, yet you want to try and educate and dispute those who literally spend their lives with the water literally in there backyard.
That's harsh IMO. Have some coffee.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
660 Posts
We can't argue science versus other beliefs in this forum. Our opinions differ. Let's move on.
What he means is you can't argue with his web research. Lots of people go out on the web, find a response and post it as if it is knowledge they've had for years. That still leaves two challenges: separating the wheat from the chaff (cuz there's more chaff than wheat out there) and having enough knowledge to know if the info you found applies to the particular situation. His web resource told him there was a tide so you don't get to argue with his "science"..

That's my harsh opinion and I've had my coffee this morning...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha how is it science?? It literally doesnt exist as per DMF and NOAA. There is at most a negligible 4"-5" lunar tide fluctuation for those bodies of water. This not opinion, its scientific fact. If you want...you can come stay at my house on the creek for a year and measure the tides.
Can I come stay at your house too? Do you have good food? Are there any chicks? I like to watch football.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I probably should know better than to respond to personal attacks. Lots of misstatements made. I did not quote an opinion from a forum. I provided a link to a tide table, which is calculated. The science I refer to is physics. Someone said NOAA says there are no tides there. I would like to see that substantiated. They don't have a recording station at Washington so they don't report there. There are lots of places they don't report from; they only need so many stations because it can be calculated at other locations. They have one at Castle Hayne on the Cape Fear that records and reports tidal fluctuations though. So NOAA does acknowledge the existence of tides pretty far inland as far as I can tell. I do believe there is a tidal influence that causes the slowly flowing fresh water to become salty before it reaches the sea. This occurs in the presence of a seaward breeze, so I think wind driven tides are not the cause. Rather than attacking me for saying I think the tidal influence causes the salt to move upstream, if you really want to convince me there is another explanation then please provide that explanation. I have been wrong before; I am not so entrenched in this belief that I wouldn't consider some other rational explanation. As I said earlier, tidal influence may be slight as far as measurable rise/fall and current, but I do believe it is present everywhere salt water from the sea reaches upstream.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Why do people take it so personally when people disagree with them on things as petty as tides? If hes wrong inform him of your opinion and move on. We're all adults here and him believing something different isn't going to hurt your way of life or livelihood. I'm all for debates and friendly arguments but don't make it personal.

As for tides, a friend who is a geology major told me once that he was taught that tides affect rivers hundreds of miles inland. A 4-5" difference is an effect in opinion. I have no real experience so I dont know for sure. It just makes sense to me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.