NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to get away. Baby. Diapers. Baby tunes. Too much work. Too little sleep.

Started my hike at daylight. Caught some beautiful wild rainbows.

Poured rain on me for a couple hours. It'll take more than that to run me off.

Extra dry socks and boots came in handy. Headed back to civilization at around lunch.

During my trek back out I came across a late black bear that was staring me down. I checked him out for a few then went on around it. Spooky when your miles from a person or road.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Beautiful scenery. I would have been very uncomfortable with the bear near, and no one else around. I do carry a whistle now. I'd hope I wasn't playing that bears tune.
You're just getting started with the baby tunes. When my son was about 5 years old, he played a Peter and the Wolf record so many times, my wife and I will still hum the music from that record today, and our son just turned 46 yo.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Bears are indeed ranging far and wide.

We use to always encounter them hiking in the Great Smokies. Some of the backcountry campsites and the trail shelters were attractive areas for bears to "patrol" ...looking for food scraps etc. One trip we had a bear come into the trail shelter at least 3 times during the night...apparently attracted to food odor from scraps under the lower bunks. A loud whistle or yell (scream?) was successful in scaring it away. The ones that lurked around the campsites and shelters were the ones to be concerned about.

The ones we encountered along the trails...several miles from where folks were camping...seemed to always be afraid of us...especially when they got our scent or heard us coming. We'd maybe get a glimpse as the bear ran off thru the undergrowth. We had one mother with cubs head in our direction when she heard us....then, apparently getting our scent...she shooed the cubs off into the woods in the opposite direction. Lucky me...my buddy was just getting ready to trip me and squirt me with honey....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Life is a garden, DIG IT! Great pics! Glad you got a little break from the little one, its nice to be able to get a little recharge then go home and help out again. My 6 year old is just starting to get interesting in fishing. I have him casting my little UL Spinning set up. He's doing pretty well with it. Now if I can just get him to concentrate during class so we can have more fishing time together!

·
Registered
549 Posts
Now if I can just get him to concentrate during class so we can have more fishing time together!
I have used food/milkshakes to motive mine. A milkshake for a 4, maybe less depending on the kid and issues. Since I don't buy them another other time, they think it's a treat. It's too the point that they don't count the payment unless the money leaves my hand. It doesn't count if the wife does it and I am always in the red for milkshakes.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I think I have natural bear repellent. I've never seen one in the wild. Not even at bear dump type places when I went looking for them on purpose.
The only place I have seen them in the wild was at a dumpster at Ginnie Springs FL. They had signs up warning about approaching them because they looked like cute little (few over 4') circus bears. I have seen evidence of their overnight visits at Camp Rockmont in Black Mtn but never seen one there.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
My wife and I went on a motor trail at Gatlinburg once, and came upon a picnic table with plastics and foam plates everywhere, but no one there. Must have had a visitor cause someone left in a hurry.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.