NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm headed up to South Mountains tomorrow, despite the rain. Any words of wisdom about fishing in the rain with, I assume, higher water? I've never fished in anything more than a slight drizzle.

I imagine whatever feeding the fish do will be below the surface, so I'll be fishing buggers slowly, squirmy worms (I used to be a purist, then I started catching fish... :D) hare's ears, etc.... Any other recommendations?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got skunked, big time. I fished practically every nymph and streamer in my box. I could see about 8 brookies in a pool, but other than one hookup that quickly threw the fly, everything (even eggs and squirmy worms that I threw after trying the buggy stuff) was refused. Most of them didn't even "test" the fly. It just went right past them. I'm thinking that I should have put more weight.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Running an egg or worm or chartreuse nymph is a good way to see where your flies are drifting. Bear in mind that the speed of the river/creek changes depending on depth. Especially with higher flows, you'll have fast water high in the run and the trout will stage in the slower current at the bottom. If you can see fish, streamers are probably not the ticket. Given cold conditions, stick with small midge patterns and fish them heavy (deep).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.