NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and am a senior at NC State University. I finally got an apartment here in Raleigh so I have more time to search for fishing areas up here. I have been pecking around to try and find some places but everything feels quite restricted in this area. I like to fish off the bank and it seems that you can't do much of that around Lake Johnson or Lake Wheeler from what I can find, which regretfully are the two closest places. Anyone know of a place where I can throw some lures in and be able to get to different areas of the shore? I don't care if it's a farm pond to a lake, just somewhere with some bluegill or bass preferably. I don't really enjoy piers where a million other people are fishing, I like it to be just me, the water, trees, and animals as much as I can help it.

Thanks to all those who can help!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
If you make the drive out to cary i can show you a lake you can fish all the way around and i never dont catch something there. Right now there are big bream as many as you can catch until your hands hurt and bass a plenty if you dont mind slowing it down. Its accesible by shore 95% around and is fairly big. There are some MONSTERS in it too. Message me if your interested, i may be out there sunday and am always glad to fish with someone else.

·
Registered
717 Posts
As you've noticed, the City of Raleigh tends to frown on bank fishing. Seems like all the lakes that they run, especially the ones with boat rentals, don't allow bank fishing. Funny coincidence, that. :rolleyes:

There's a small lake on Centennial Campus - Lake Raleigh - that might be worth a shot. I've had pretty bad luck from the bank there, but if you can get around to the far side of the lake, the fishing seems to get better.

There are a lot of small private ponds in the area, if you can make friends with an owner. There's also Crabtree Creek that comes out of Umstead park, goes by Crabtree Mall, then over the Lassiter Mill dam, and eventually joins the Neuse over by 64 at Anderson Point park. There's a small lake / big pond over on the north side of Reedy Creek Rd, sort of between Umstead park and Schenk forest. Haven't had much luck there either, but there's at least good bank access.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
what jlr said. in north raleigh: lake lynn, shelley lake and durant nature park. falls lake have a few access, at beaverdam and the dam to the neuse. there is also the neuse river, which i only know access at dam and canoe launch sites. a nice walk way along the river from raleigh beach to anderson point park.

good luck and don't forget a camera of some type. :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you make the drive out to cary i can show you a lake you can fish all the way around and i never dont catch something there. Right now there are big bream as many as you can catch until your hands hurt and bass a plenty if you dont mind slowing it down. Its accesible by shore 95% around and is fairly big. There are some MONSTERS in it too. Message me if your interested, i may be out there sunday and am always glad to fish with someone else.

What lake are you mentioning?

·
Registered
97 Posts
That sounds like he's talking about Regency.

There are lots of access points to Falls Lake and multiple smaller ponds that are easily accessed. Umstead park also has several lakes with decent bass fishing opportunities

·
Registered
357 Posts
There are a lot of places where you can park on the side of the road around Falls Lake. You will have to be willing to hike in, but most of the hiking isn't too bad or too long.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ditto to what the other guys said about various places. I like to walk Sycamore Creek at Umstead for bass. A few weeks ago there were some massive carp in the shallows where the creek flows into Sycamore Lake.

Just wear bug spray and watch for snakes. I pulled 5 ticks off myself before leaving the park, and found three about the size of a sesame seed later that night. The chigger bites showed up later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.