NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about hitting the Pullen Aquatic Center Friday, Feb 29, 7:00-ish, to practice rolling off and remounting my Manta Ray. Also gonna try out my cold-water gear -- same kind of demos Jim Sammons illustrated, but without the video. Cost is $5 for Raleigh residents, $6 for others.

Great Outdoor Provision Co. » Calendar

Let me know if you want to meet up. The parking lot is a bit of a hike from the pool, so it might help to buddy up to carry boats down. (I'm counting on my cart being helpful as well.)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've confirmed with Raleigh Parks & Rec that this event will indeed take place, and have firmed up plans with Kayakin'Kelley to swing by... So if anyone else wants to come by, just look for us. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only sit-on-top in the pool...

$5 per person for Raleigh residents, $6 otherwise, whitewater boats are available to rent for $2.

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Registered
155 Posts
I've confirmed with Raleigh Parks & Rec that this event will indeed take place, and have firmed up plans with Kayakin'Kelley to swing by... So if anyone else wants to come by, just look for us. I wouldn't be surprised if I was the only sit-on-top in the pool...

$5 per person for Raleigh residents, $6 otherwise, whitewater boats are available to rent for $2.
Lefty,

Michael is 87.5 lbs so I think your extra 'yak vest should fit him.

Kelley

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought about deckin' the boat out with gear, but the more I thought about it, the less value I could find. It'll weight the boat down, which ought to make it less easy for me to pull it over on top of me during my re-mount. I thought about just putting the aft rod-holders in place, but they're behind the cockpit, and I can't see them getting in the way. Adding the 'Finder and the GPS to the cockpit seems like the most likely accessory to get in my way...

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Obviously, if you want the most realistic results, you've got to try climbing back in with all the same gear you'd normally have with you on the water. But you'd also need the water to be the same temp as you'll face in the wild, along with wind, waves, wakes, etc... If you've never fallen out and climbed back in, just figuring the limits of your kayak's stability and how to get back on top without the gear is better than simply hoping you'll figure it out if it ever happens for real.

I have seen recommendations for using broom handles to simulate rods in the holders. And an empty crate with some wet towels in it would make a good dead weight approximation of tackle in the tankwell.

I've always wondered about what chemicals might be in the pool water that I might not want on my fish finder or in my reels or on my waders & PFD or seat cushion. I hope Lefty doesn't come out as "******"

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
When I think about The Team Hardcore boys showing up at the aquatic center I can only think of caddyshack. Caddy invasion at the Bushwood Country Club. Lefty don`t forget to take a baby ruth.:eek: Noonan !

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If I see any gophers, I'll clear out quick.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Oh heck, now I'm disappointed, I thought the sign said "Drunk Drills" heck I wanted to know where to show up:D

I can do the dunk drill after a snoot full, sometimes its hard to flounder in the surf.:p

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't see anybody inebriated, but there sure was a crowd. I heard that several earlier sessions had been canceled, so there may have been some factor of "pent-up demand" here last night.

There were three areas of the pool available - one area was filled with playboaters doing cartwheels and helicopters and all kinds of wacko stuff - maybe that's where the drunks were. Another area was largely filled with a scout troop, and Kelley and I hung out in the third area, which was mostly touring boats practicing rolls and rescues. As expected, mine was the only sit-on-top, although there were a few other "casual" recreational sit-insides, including one couple that was getting some kind of "intro to kayaking" lesson.

(It was interesting to watch -- they coached this couple on wet exits, and then floated the man into the pool and made him practice one. The wife didn't have a sprayskirt, not sure why they didn't dunk her right away either. Anyhow -- as soon as they floated the wife, the husband's boat drifts over and bumps her boat, and over he goes! Sure enough, he bobbed up a moment later - I guess he learned Lesson #1!! :D )

Anyhow -- I'm very glad I went. The first re-entry I attempted, I went up and over the other side of my boat. I wound up with a good half-dozen successful re-entries. I also learned that when the boat does turtle completely, it's not enough to just lift the near gunwale and toss it over, I also need to grab the far one and pull it toward me -- probably more so when the boat's heavier. I also was surprised by how much exertion was involved in the remount. Three in a row and I was winded. I know I'm out of shape, but I sure hope it's not THAT BAD! (Sure hope I don't have to go rent any Richard Simmons videos! :eek:)

I did learn that my dry gear is not as dry as I want it to be. Very glad to learn that lesson in a 70-some degree pool instead of a 40-some degree lake. Need to spend some time cogitating on that one -- the principle of minimizing the exchange of water would still hold -- it wasn't letting MUCH water inside... so I might decide to stick with it, but it still allowed more than I expected.

The crowd was very friendly. Nobody was territorial, everybody was very comfortable, they were pretty much all just hanging out with other folks who liked to paddle.

Oh yeah, and so far, at least, I haven't noticed anything having been bleached out, Jeff. I just don't have much of a taste for chitlin's and collards anymore.

Finally, I took the opportunity to test-stand my boat. I certainly can't compare the Manta Ray with what I've seen of the Ultimate in the way of stand-ability. I was comfortable enough rising, looking around, and seating myself again, but I sure wouldn't want to cast or fight a fish from up there. I also tried poling around the pool a little bit, but again, did not consider it stable enough for that to be a recommended thing. I can stand for a brief peek around, or a quick leg-stretch, if I don't have moving water to contend with, but that's gonna be pretty much the extent of my standing.

Anyhow -- bottom line, it was a very productive evening. Well worth the $6, and I can comfortably recommend that any paddler should take the opportunity at least once.

Respectfully submitted, Lefty

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.