NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were kayaking up near Cedar Island. I told my wife to take her purse, wrap it up in a plastic bag and store it in her yak. There were two other rigs at the ramp. When we were taking out a truck came over the bridge and down to the ramp. They slowly cruised by the two rigs in the lot, but as soon as they saw my wife and me loading the yaks, they turned tail and left. They did not even come down to the ramp itself or approach us to see how the fishing was. You be the judge!
Also, we were fishing a somewhat narrow cannel. A 20' Vee hull was anchored near us fishing. Well here comes another boat that slows down for the Vee hull boat, but then picks up the throttle as it goes by us. Waking both the wife and myself. What a tool! I am glad nothing happen to my wife, otherwise I would have to question what would happen next. After all they are responsible for their wake. Just saying.
All I can say is protect yourself and your valuables.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
NO ramp is secure, and the more secluded or closer to a bad neighborhood the worse..

·
Registered
896 Posts
Agreed. Don't leave anything that even looks valuable in sight. Even if it's worthless, a thief won't know until they have already smashed a window to gain access. Would be nice if our increased boating fees were used for better safety enforcement at ramps, instead of dredging the beaches.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Don't assume... Every time I get close to a boat ramp I pull down just to see whats going on down there. If he was pulling a truck a bet he had a hitch on the back of it. Which means he's a boater as well... which in turns means he was curious about the water clarity, water level, etc. All I'm saying... Don't assume. However, there's a lot of bad people out there that probably are looking for an easy steal.

As far as the guy waking you... That sucks and is outright disrespectful and dangerous!

·
Banned
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeffrey, "They did not even come down to the ramp itself or approach us to see how the fishing was." You be the judge!" They did not even get close enough to the water to tell what was going on. Also they were not pulling a boat. If they were checking out the water conditions, why did they not come to the ramp or ask us how we did?
Sorry, but I'll plan for the worst and hope for the best.

·
Premium Member
7,963 Posts
A hitch means nothing. Tons of people keep hitches on trucks year round that have never even been in a boat. They use them for lots of other applications. Also, thieves use hitches for obvious reasons when the simple/easy scenario arises.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Don't be paranoid, but always be suspicious in a bad environment. No one is going to help you, but you..

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
excerpt from article--old news but pertains to the post.

24-year-old John Paul Zubia was shot and killed at Lee's Landing Boating Access Road in Pamlico County.

9 On Your Side spoke with Zubia’s mother when we first arrived at the scene Thursday. She said her son was at Lee’s Landing last night with a group of people concerning some type of situation surrounding a girl. Investigators are not confirming that information or releasing a motive.

It's been a quiet morning at the wildlife ramp though we have seen a few cars drive through the area to see what's going on. Those who live nearby are surprised this happened. Mike Holton has lived on Lee's Landing Rd for 37 years. He says several years ago the boat access area used to be a hot spot for drug transactions but since then, it's gotten a lot better.

"This, I don't have any idea what it was,” said Mike Holton. lives nearby. “The law watches it a whole lot more now with the game warden and the sheriff and I've seen state troopers go down here a lot. They always go down the road. All that part slowed down a lot. So that's what shocked me about this."

Holton says most of the traffic he sees is from boaters and fishermen who use the landing for its intended purpose.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
You would think they could have a light at most boat ramps. Not at blounts creek. Was fishing there a month or so ago and got back to the truck well after dark. Well I had left my truck headlights on and my battery was totally dead. So I get to wait for half an hour at a boat ramp with dead battery and no light at the boat ramp.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Don't assume... Every time I get close to a boat ramp I pull down just to see whats going on down there. If he was pulling a truck a bet he had a hitch on the back of it. Which means he's a boater as well... which in turns means he was curious about the water clarity, water level, etc. All I'm saying... Don't assume.
Excellent point; I just scouted a spot a few days ago. I didn't even think about how it might have looked to anyone on the water if they saw me. Had anyone been there unloading (there were parked trucks/trailers but no one was at the ramp right then) I would have spoken to them unless they scowled at me to discourage it. When I meet people in those situations I try to be cautiously OptiMystic. My parents included the second half of the old adage - "Don't talk to strangers, but always wave at the caboose man."

·
Registered
81 Posts
Jeffrey, "They did not even come down to the ramp itself or approach us to see how the fishing was." You be the judge!" They did not even get close enough to the water to tell what was going on. Also they were not pulling a boat. If they were checking out the water conditions, why did they not come to the ramp or ask us how we did?
Sorry, but I'll plan for the worst and hope for the best.
Don't get me wrong. I know there are bad people in the world. But I just don't live life thinking every suspicious person is out to get me. I've been the victim of crimes such as someone breaking into my car and stealing my GPS I left attached to my windshield. For every 1 bad person there's ten thousand good people.

There's nothing wrong with your plan... "planning for the worst and hoping for the best." I usually always carry my .40 caliber handgun when "hoping for the best". :)

Stay safe.

·
Banned
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll conclude with the fact that I really hate to have to "Be on guard", but times are changing and not for the better. Remember when a Hand Shake was golden? But the bad guys don't care and worst of all, when caught, not even a "slap on the wrist!"

10-4 on BE SAFE.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I get a bit nervous at secluded ramps or if I see vehicles that seem out of place. I always try to use fairly busy ramps just for peace of mind. I feel safer leaving my truck in a lot with 100 vehicles and people always around than I do leaving it in a lot with 3 vehicles and nobody around.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
A hitch means nothing. Tons of people keep hitches on trucks year round that have never even been in a boat. They use them for lots of other applications. Also, thieves use hitches for obvious reasons when the simple/easy scenario arises.

Sent from my kayak...
My hitch has never been in my boat. Thank God.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.