NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Randleman Interactive Stream Channel Map

We had thunderstorms this morning, so I finished a project I've been working on for an embarrassingly long time.

It's a map of Randleman Reservoir, made with the latest data and some on water experience.

You'll notice it's fairly detailed and hopefully more accurate because of this.

Please look over the attached map link below....

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zqZLx_YLGxyk.kPG7Rx8kr0TQ

Fixed map overview:
Map Slope Atlas Parallel Rectangle

Feedback is appreciated.

Thanks....

Fishscalz

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
That's pretty cool. It mainly shows the channels, which are generally correct but there are some areas where I assume the data was filled in with prediction algorithms or assumption. I only say that as there are some areas where the channel does things that are not shown on the map; bends, hairpins, hugging some shorelines, etc. I've logged a lot of hours on Randleman and done a lot of sonar work there. I've also spent hours staring at maps and photos doing my homework. I'll share a gold nugget with you: I would suggest you take a look at Google Earth, use the 'view' pulldown and look at Historical Imagery. There are some old satellite photos in there that you might find ... intriguing. ;)

Neat map, looks like you're trying to use some ingenuity.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SurfRider.

You are right, the map is approximate, but not that far off. This is the "scarecrow" version of fishing maps. Google Maps Engine Lite is a neat way to distribute maps with some degree of detail.

I'm playing around a bit to see what is available with USGS data, and seeing what I can use for free with the lite version of Maps Engine.

If I recall correctly, you can only have 3 layers, and no more than 100 entities on each layer. There is not enough for a really detailed map of a good size lake, although I have done a few that are probably over done with detai ls. I took out the shoreline outline on this map to meet these limitations

The neat thing is that you can use this on your smartphone, add markers for your own spots, and it's still better that some of the maps that you pay for...you can do your research, plan your trip, and mark your spots to try when you are there, log your success, and so on.

Thanks for the tip. Randleman has a lot of information available since it is pretty new, the older lakes can be a real challenge.

Fishscalz

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Here ya go....

North area of Randleman, comparing USGS data (yellow) with Google Earth aerial photo trace (green) streambed channels.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zqZLx_YLGxyk.kKQv0a22lbvw

This should be interesting to those that use the non-motorized area.

Fishscalz
I've spent some time doing sonar work on the non-motorized section as well. I can confirm for you that this map does do a good job of following the channels with the green line (the Google Maps one). Helpful for anyone who doesn't know where the channels run in that section. Nice work.

Reactions: Fishscalz
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.