NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my kayak out today at Southwest Park on Randleman Reservoir. Hoping to catch a few bass. Had one small 12" bass after 3 hours of tossing crankbaits, spinner bait, and plastic worms. Noticed on my depth finder what looked like a school of fish on a downed tree top. Started vertical jigging it with a crappie jig. Caught a dozen or so crappie in about an hour or less. Went back to bass fishing for a couple hours....still no bass. Found another downed tree top much like the first one, and sure enough caught at least a dozen more crappie off that one. Fished points and bluff banks with plastic worms mostly on the way back to the ramp. Did manage to pick up two more small bass. Nothing bigger than 14".
Not a spectacular day.....but I have had much worse! :cool: I catch and release only, so the fish are still there!

·
Red X Angler
3,776 Posts
Bass on that lake can be fickle, and I have not fished it in quite a while but have had some great days out there once upon a time for sure. That section of the lake is really pretty. Glad you caught some fish, maybe next time the bass will cooperate!

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I'm glad you caught some fish. In my opinion that lake is now a pale shadow of its former self. The quality of the fishing seemed off last year and last fall I really struggled out there. I had one really good day in March with 4 fish over 4 lbs. The rest of the trips were blah culminating in only the 3rd time I ever blanked out there in 10 years. The first two were a trip I had to cut short after an hour, and the other was in 46 degree muddy water. This was in late March with near 60 degree water, overcast skies, and SW wind. It was about a good as it can get for a spring afternoon and I not only didn't catch a bass, I never got a bite. I was fishing in areas I am 100% sure they frequent cause I've caught them in the same places for years. That was pretty much it for me and I haven't been back.

My fears that the lake is not much good anymore were more-or-less confirmed when I went to another local lake and proceeded to catch 11 with a couple over 4lbs in awful conditions. Freezing temps overnight, bluebird skies, howling N wind. I had said to myself if I got 2 bites it would be a good day. It was also only the 2nd time I ever fished this lake.

Overfishing, lack of good shallow cover, fishing pressure, and (based on my observations) a significant decline in the shad population have turned it into just another so-so Piedmont reservoir.

It pains me to say this but save your money and fish somewhere else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts