NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
15 - 20 minutes from I40/85 in Greensboro. I am hearing that they have stocked bass, cats, and stripers in the lake so far. Hope it is true and have heard opening dates anywhere from 2009 - 2011 or more.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Tried to post a link for the Largemouth stocking but it wouldnt work! Go to the NCWRC website and click search......... type in Fish stocked in Randleman Lake and it'll bring up a couple diff. pages to choose from.... u'll see the one about largemouth bass in Randleman lake! Hope this helps

·
Registered
512 Posts
There was a nice article about this in a recent issue of NC Wildlife (last 6 months). Thought I had saved it but can't find it. If memory serves, Tubby1 is correct. They stocked LMB and catfish, but elected not to stock striped bass. Also no crappie stocking, as populations were already adequate. Maybe someone can dig up that article and fill in the gaps.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No clue on the buildings or parking lots....... cant see them from Google Earth satellite images but then again those photos are older..... Ill check after I get outta church and try to get back to ya!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I dont know but I sure wish they'd open it up..... I cross that lake every day on my way to work and it just calls out to me....."FISH ME FISH ME" and I cant wait to get my lines wet in there. What I dont understand is there was already an abundance of cats and Bass in Deep River before they impounded it so why cant we fish already!!!!! LOL

·
Registered
249 Posts
Gambusia I couldnt agree w/ you more.... Ive been steady searchin sites for different fish species in that River and I dont know what would be the Major Forage from H.P to the Cape Fear! Maybe they'll do it later????? <<<CROSSIN MY FINGERS>>>

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
I would imagine there are already some shad in the lake. Thought I saw some popping the top one evening coming across the bridge. Doesn't the Deep River (which is what they damed up) come out of Jamestown City Lake. If it does, that lake is full of shad.
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Threadfin shad are what you want not gizzard shad.

Gizzard shad can get 3-4 pounds and become too large for most fish to eat.

I'd suspect any shad in the lake now are gizzard shad.

Threadfins don't even reach 1/2 pound and are good forage for all kinds of fish such as crappie and largemouth.

Only problem is that threadfin cannot take cold water.

That is why most threadfin shad stockings in the mountains have been total failures

·
Registered
249 Posts
Michael you are indeed correct....that is the deep river and it does come out of the Jamestown Lake....... Im gonna do all that I can this year to learn about that River being that Im less than a minute from it!! Ill try to keep yall updated on what I learn!!

·
Registered
512 Posts
From Wildlife in North Carolina, November 2007, "A Clean Slate", page 4-7, by Dan Kibler:

"...the popular striped bass/white bass hybrids were out of the question. Randleman is in the Cape Fear River watershed...Because the hybrids are capable of spawning, the [NC Wildlife Resources] commission does not want to...implement a stocking program that could interfere with the spawning potential or genetics of the Cape Fear River stock of striped bass."

"Striped bass also are not being considered at this time...[According to NCWRC fisheries biologist Corey Oakley] 'Historical evidence suggests that growth and survival of striped bass are limited in habitats with the high summer temperatures and low levels of dissolved oxygen that are comon in Piedmont reservoirs in the summer.'"

"As far as the lake's forage base, the native fish from the Deep River took care of that with gizzard shad being the primary baitfish."

ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS FROM THE ARTICLE
Surveys by NCWRC found that sunfish populations were adequate.

Surveys also found black crappie already present due to existing populations in the Deep River.

The article is well worth reading, and I suspect most libraries carry the magazine. It doesn't mention an opening date, but I gather that will depend on when it fills up!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is from the NCWRC on Jordan Lake but I think it could apply to Randleman too (both are in the Cape Fear system):

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]In Jordan Lake, anglers have reeled in striped bass and Bodie bass since the stocking program began in 1996. It is unlikely, however, that Jordan Lake will support a trophy striped bass fishery because habitat for striped bass is likely marginal during the summer months. Striped bass - particularly stripers larger than six pounds - are intolerant of high water temperatures and low dissolved oxygen levels. Literature and field data show that the tolerance limits for striped bass are a water temperature of 28 C (82 F) and a dissolved oxygen level of 2 ppm. When these tolerance limits are exceeded, striped bass become stressed and a summer die-off is not uncommon. The Commission expects the Jordan Lake striped bass fishery to provide ample opportunities for anglers who enjoy catching three- to five-pound striped bass.

How deep is Randleman anyway?
[/FONT]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.