NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the story:
early saturday morning i was running up the lake with both lights on.when a person in a jon boat with NO lights came cutting out of the mid lake launch. i was already to duck and dive -not the first time it has happened in this area- i chopped power and yanked it hard left..i missed this guy's out board by INCHES.. he unknowingly kept right on a running up lake..

now the rant!:
i don't care what boat you drive if it has an out board moter it needs to have both front and back lights that work..running in the pitch dark up a lake is risky/insane enough. let alone having to dodge ingorant morons who are too lazy to use the lights..

i know a lot of the younger guys do not have the money to buy . much more than an old beat up jon boat with an old outboard on it.. but in a recent bait monkey spree i noticed that the stern light -thats the white one- and the bow light -red/green-were advailable for under $10 each. so really there is no excuse not to have them equiped..

i know that every state rules are differant..but in NC you must have an "readily advailable" white light in any boat under 16 foot. i belive as a person who fishes alot in the dark hours of night this is NOT ENOUGH..

i don't really care if you have a 10 foot jon boat with a 2 horse moter on it. or a 20 foot glass boat with a 250 horse moter on it.. if you use the boat in the dark hours of night or in heavy fog you need to burn the lights. not only for others safty but for your own safty..

on a side note the person who was mentioned in the story above was some one i knew. i spoke with his father via cell phone moments after the afore mentioned incedent took place.. i know that boat is equiped with running lights. the son was in too big a hurry to put them in place and turn them on..his impatiance nearly cost him his life..i can't imagine the azz chewing he got when he got home..

zooker

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
When I night fish especially. I have a secondary battery I switch to and run my lights all night. I also keep one LED lantern hung high on a piece of conduit that is bent into a shepherds hook and fits in a rod holder. I make SURE I am seen because I have been the idiot that was almost hit.... I'm only and idiot once if I can help it!!..LOL

·
Registered
353 Posts
How do you really feel Zooker? Just kidding! I agree with you whole heartedly. I bought an old boat back in January. 14' glass with an old motor. I never put it in the water until I rewired the whole thing, replaced all lights, added a spot light, and interior lights all controlled by individual toggles in a fuse box. I am too old to have someone run over me now or run over someone else who is ignoring the law. Wish there was a ranger at every landing to check boaters before they put in. Ticket them before they hurt someone or themselves. But, that would be proactive and we all know that the WRC is reactive, not proactive. Not enough men in the field to enforce the laws.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Get on 'em ZooK!

Can never be in too big a hurry to let safety fall by the way side.... Navigation lights during specific hours of darkness are not an option, mandatory. Even non motorized vessels are required to have at least a flashlight/lantern to signal "hey look I'm here dont hit me"..

I bet that chap'd yer butt... I'd a been upset too as that's a risk noone needs to take.

·
Registered
353 Posts
As Forrest Gump said, "stupit is as stupid does." Pretty much sums up those that go without regard to others. I once watch from shore at a campground, a bunch of "stupids" in Kerr Lake, settle in the middle of the channel, turn off all lights, put out an anchor and then begin to party hardy. An accident waiting to happen. Some folks in the outdoors just waste good air. I guess you tell what I think, Uh!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I night fish with backlash and sit in the back of the boat right beside the bright whitelight. Id rather get bit up by bugs than hit by someone in a huge boat..

·
Registered
156 Posts
Now lets talk about Jet Ski's !!!!!!!!!! RRRRRRRRRRRRRR :eek:
I always run into Evil Knieval, and I've saved several of them from certain death !

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
boulder
ya think he would have used common sense -it was 4 am btw-bet his old man was some kind of pizzed off when i woke him up at 4 am..to cuss his azz out-i thought it was him not the kid-

fly
when you fish as early as i do jet skiers are still working on there hang overs when i pick up and leave -normally around 9:30am-10:00 am-

zooker

·
Registered
353 Posts
All are cases of thoughtless, careless individuals who would rather ignore the rules, show off their toy, and disrespect the code of real Sportsmen, "to be considerate of others at all times, helpful whenever possible, and obeying the laws."

·
Registered
141 Posts
My friend and I sometimes use a Ganoe (canoe/boat thing). And mind you we only use it in the day time, people still don't see us. I don't think they can see us for some reason. So I am with yall.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.