NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else use Rapala Subwalks and/or what is your opinion of them? I have been using them lately and really like them. The striper can't stand them and I'm looking forward to targeting trout with them. I don't really get a subsurface walk the dog action out of it but it has a great erratic darting action. It works best for me when I use a quick series of sharp, strong but short twitches followed by brief pauses. Anyone else have any tips/tricks for fishing them? I also like the smaller version much better than the larger.

Registered
I never gave the Sub Walks a good chance, but would love to hear how others use them and how well they do while using them. I have heard they come in handy when the water is too rough for a top water lure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never gave the Sub Walks a good chance, but would love to hear how others use them and how well they do while using them. I have heard they come in handy when the water is too rough for a top water lure.
Try throwing a big pencil popper in rough water (like 1' chop) and you'll find the fish will still crush topwater even in conditions where they shouldn't be able to see on top. The subwalk has been outfishing my spooks on very calm water the last few trips but I think it may have been because I was fishing shallow in the clearest water I have ever seen in the Neuse around New Bern. At least that's my theory.

Banned
When they are eating mullet and not hitting topwaters it is a very good Bait.

Dave showed me how it was done with one last year. I think a catch 2000 will work in similar situations.

Sent from my XT1080

Banned
Try throwing a big pencil popper in rough water (like 1' chop) and you'll find the fish will still crush topwater even in conditions where they shouldn't be able to see on top. The subwalk has been outfishing my spooks on very calm water the last few trips but I think it may have been because I was fishing shallow in the clearest water I have ever seen in the Neuse around New Bern. At least that's my theory.
Good to hear someone is catching.

Sent from my XT1080

Registered
Any particular pencil popper that you like better than others?

Thanks for the tip on the sub walk in calm, clear water.

Registered
I like the Subwalk in the size 7 for trout and 9 for stripers and bass. They have quit making the 7, but I have a few and work great when the ripple on the water is a little to much for the fish. I've seen it where the fish would make a half hearted swipe at a bait, cast the Subwalk an they would devour it.

Registered
I picked up a couple of Catch 2000s and a couple of 19MR mirro minnows. Had a Father's Day gift card for NSS. NSS has quit carrying Cotton Cordell, but they used to have that brand. Guess I need to make a trip to E Z Bait and Tackle. I am sure they have the Cotton Cordell pencil poppers.

Registered
I tend to use mostly medium or medium/light rods, so I may need to come up with something smaller and lighter than the CC pencil popper. Thanks for the info ICM. Anyone have some ideas on a top water lure for medium to medium/light rods that will work well in fairly rough water? Would not be something I would need often at all, but love fishing top water for sea trout.

Registered
Thanks Tony. I wasn't aware of the differences in these lures. Maybe the She Pup will work with my lighter weight rods. I'll give them a try. I think I may have a Top Pup, if this would work.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.