NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thursday morning brought a steady light breeze from the north that pushed down the neighborhood street and over "my" side of the pond. The water on my shoreline was boiling like mad with a bluegill feeding frenzy that I had never seen before.

I tied on the smallest fly I could find in my box and went to work.
Eye Arthropod Coin Insect Nickel

For 10 minutes I could catch all of these I wanted:
Plant Grass Garden tool Natural material Wood

After several fish, the boils continued, but the bluegill would not give me the time of day anymore on that fly.

I could not tell what was being eaten - there seemed to be "stuff" blowing through or out of the pines. I thought maybe a winged ant hatch or some kind of larvae carcases getting blown in by the wind. (Or maybe the pollen was so thick that it was coming down in bite-sized globules?).

We usually only get a wind from the north during strong cold fronts, so it was a little different conditions. Pretty cool to watch, and it continued for a few hours. I came out later with the smallest foam spider I had (bigger than that fly in the pic) and got a couple of swirls on it but no takers.

Wondering what would be the most likely food source here in the RTP area to create those kind of feeding conditions right now?

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Can't be of any help since I live near the coast, but this sounds so interesting. I have a firned who llows me to fly fish in a private pond. He told me he saw something like this happen there, but in my area.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
There's been some type of hatch close by to my house for the last couple evenings right before dark. For miles......thick enough to where you have to use your windshield wipers while driving....seems to be concentrated close to the road only though. Insane amount of flies in the air.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.