·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It also looks like it annihilated your rod into four sections. :p

Nice catch.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Was wading a local river fishing for smallmouth, the gar had come up out the lake to spawn, and they were all around us. Gave me the creeps when they kept bumping into us! Nice catch son.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ive been killing the gar lately with rope flies. You can literally strip it past their faces or drop it on their head, they will hit it 90% of the time. It was my first flyrod species.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Ive been killing the gar lately with rope flies. You can literally strip it past their faces or drop it on their head, they will hit it 90% of the time. It was my first flyrod species.

Rope as in when they bite it their teeth get stuck type of rope lure? I hope not

Reactions: emu103

·
Registered
194 Posts
Rope as in when they bite it their teeth get stuck type of rope lure? I hope not
Yea, you can shake em right off. I take a paint stirer in the rear of their mouth and use hemostats to get it out of their teeth. With gloves on of course.

I didnt literally mean killing them...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It also looks like it annihilated your rod into four sections. :p

Nice catch.
Nah lol That was somebody poking it with there rod they were fishing with the end of a rod with string tied to it... my duckett held on pretty good to him if it would of broke i woulda been ****** lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, you can shake em right off. I take a paint stirer in the rear of their mouth and use hemostats to get it out of their teeth. With gloves on of course.

I didnt literally mean killing them...

I gotta try that on my flyrod I catch bowfin on it and whew thats a fight i toss a froggy fly next to were i see them kickin up mud and strip it once or twice and bam

·
Registered
194 Posts
I gotta try that on my flyrod I catch bowfin on it and whew thats a fight i toss a froggy fly next to were i see them kickin up mud and strip it once or twice and bam
They dont fight that amazingly to be honest. But if you do go for it let them strike and then run with it. Give them 10-15 seconds to get tangled then apply pressure. You can get them to strike about everytime but getting a solid connection is no gaurantee. Good luck and be carful "unhooking" them. They sometimes seem docile but will let out an unexpected burst of energy at times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts