NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit this creek on a couple different occasions some time ago, but wanted to go further. Mission accomplished. I made a trek of approximately 2-2.5 miles each way this time around. During one of the past outings here, I came pretty close to getting too personal with a timber rattler (around 8ft between me and the snake). I really can't help but think about that incident every time I'm even remotely close to that area exploring a creek. Today would be no different, actually worse.

Located a walking stick, let's do this.

What are these? They were very "opened up" and full on my hike in, but on the return trip they were closed up and kind of shriveled. Interesting.

Hoards of these to be had. Some damned nice natives here as well. Unfortunately, I broke one of the largest off, but seen many more.

Mr. Brown made an appearance. I didn't expect that.

Black Forest ham and cheese. Hard to beat while sitting on a log in a creek like this. Eat lunch, catch trout.

At this point things started to get interesting. I reached a point on the creek where several large trees had been blown across, almost damming it up. They were "stacked" so high that I couldn't see over or past them. Numerous fish swam in that pool, some of proper size as well.

The obstruction forced me to hit the land, and crawl/climb over. Threw one leg over, and the other, landed on my feet only to see this, maybe 3 or 4 feet from where my feet had planted:

That'll wake you up real quick. I think the second snake was a water snake, but it still aided in the stopping of my heart when I dropped off that dead fall. This made the long hike back to the truck interesting. Walk softly.

A sign of the glorified goat population:

Watch your step, friends. Catch ya later, Rattlesnake Mountain.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I used to work with a guy that did his Ph.D field work back thirty years ago up around Mt. Mitchell. He met an old timer that lived up there and the old dude showed him a couple of rattle snake skins nailed up behind his house that both went over 8 feet and were as wide as his thigh.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Never know when a snake might pop-up. Wife hollered on the front porch the other morning, I ran to see what was going on. There was a 5' chicken snake hanging from the shutter beside the window. Wife had a humming bird feeder hanging in front of the window. Guess he was looking for breakfast.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Give me a bit of an uneasy feeling about where I'm planning to head tomorrow. Oh well, that's the price for getting out there I guess. Good work on the fishies, once again.

Yeah, the flowers are morning glories. So called because they're only opened up in the mornings.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Beautiful pictures, again. Glad that rattler didn't get too personal with you!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.