NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Texas in the house

Hello everyone. I am Michael From central Texas. I have Family in Boone and we are having a reunion in Aug. I will be staying on the New river in Boone and was looking For info on the Smallmouth in the river in that area. I here it is better known for its trout and not so much for bass. I will be posting in other ares to seek information on tips for that area and maybe work out a trip trade. I fish some of the best bass lakes in the country and would love to take someone to Del Rio to hunt some hogs. Falcon and Choke Canyon are hot too.

Regards :)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Re: Texas in the house

that river -not spelled "new" btw- has a good population of river smallies. i belive you can rent boats -canoes,rafts- on it.. just float down river find a island /sand bar and fish from it.. i have caught a pile of fish doing just that.. using ultra light spinning tackle. small cranks in a craw pattern, small pop-rs, and a small shakey head may be the ticket.. the water is normally VERY clear..most smallies in the nue are very small 14" being a big one..

i have a friend that has caught smallies out of choke..

zooker

·
Registered
135 Posts

Welcome to the site Dink! The couple spots on the "Neu" I've fished are up around Jefferson, about 30 minutes NE of Boone and only a few minutes from each other. Both can be waded provided the river isn't swollen (shouldn't be in August). Try the New River State Park section off Hwy 88-walk downstream from the parking area and fish back up. Lots of good ledges downstream, haven't seen much upstream. My favorite is the section of the river that runs parallel to Hwy 16 right before the intersection of Hwy 16 and Hwy 88. Couple of pull offs on the side off the road and fish upriver. Seems that there is always a lot of algae when I've gone so I've used zoom soft jerkbaits rigged weightless and weedless and done well. Also try catching some crawfish and hellgrammites to drift through deeper holes. Good luck and let us know how you do!

·
Registered
1,294 Posts

The New River is well known for smallmouth. I float it every year. Grub jigs, spinners, worms. Typical smallmouth baits. My boss owns the old hotel in Todd on the river. They bite well in July and August. Canoe rentals are available.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

Zooker, where did you learn to spell bud?
Welcome to the site, Dink. Zooker is usually right on, but I'm wondering if he has had his Red Bull fix yet. You might want to do a little research on the hellgramites. They are ugly little critters with a nasty bite but they are the top bait and stay on a hook well. They are usually found by turning over rocks and picking them off the undersides of rocks. Most rocks that are situated atop other rocks in moving water will have one or two cling to the underside of the rock. you'll probably run across a few of them crawfish while you are looking for hellgramites. grab them too. they can pinch you but it won't kill you if they do. Smallmouth love them too. I've never fished the New River but smallmouth aren't "new" to me. If I were going I would take a 4lb outfit with 2 small pocket size lure boxes. In them would be at least 3 Rebel teeny craw's, a couple of the small pop R's, a number 4 or 5 floating rapala in silver and black and a couple of # 2 panther martin spinners for trout. In a pill bottle I'd carry some #4, #6 and #8 hooks and some small split shot. #10 hooks are a good option as they will work better with a small helgramite. I like to fish the biggest ones I can find but sometimes they can be scarce. I'd also carry a few zoom flukes: smaller ones in white. ALL of these lures and baits are proven producers in about any smallmouth stream you go to.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts

Hi Michael. Hope you enjoy your visit to the Old North State!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

Here are some optional things you may want to bring if you have them. Not necessary but handy if you are wading a good ways. A wading belt, an insulated bag for bait and/ or another for lunch. A rod holder so you can change lures while standing out in the water (not pictured) long needle nose pliers and something a little larger and flashier for muskies. I'd recommend carrying the pliers or something of that nature to unhook any muskies that happen to want to play. Like I said everything else is totally optional. Nice to have if your gonna be wading for two or three days though.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,766 Posts

I keep thinking of things to add to your checklist. (If your memory is as bad as mine you will need a checklist; maybe two so when you forget where you put one you might remember where you put the other.;) ) Digital camera, ( that works better than mine needless to say) polarized sunglasses, lucky fishing hat and wading shoes (soled dive booties or a pair of wore out sneakers will get you by). Also if you spend $10 -$12 ea. for musky spinners, you will want some leader material and a slightly heavier outfit. Being that is hard to keep up with two outfits wading I'd suggest passing on the musky lures unless you will be canoeing or kayaking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks to all who replied! I am packing up all the mentioned items this week I really appreciate your insight. You might be suprised to know that all of the suguestions are not at all far off from what we do here excluding the Musky. If it wre not for the Zoom fluke I may have never caught my first Bass.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.