NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, surferdude and basswrangler decided to scratch the itch and hit up swansboro today, unfortunately Basswrangler doesn't have a kayak so we decided to brave the ICW in a canoe instead. It was an adventure carrying it 100 miles on his ford taurus but aside from that it worked out pretty well. We got there around 2:30 and fished the falling tide. Saw a ton of bait and a few drum but the hard part was getting them to bite. Ended up finally sticking too one spot after losing a real nice one and pulled in a 23 incher. It was a fun fight on 10lb braid. There was also a a few rays and an underslot drum caught in the same spot. Before we left I also managed my first keeper flounder of the year and one that was a little too small. A dang good way to spend the afternoon by any means. No topwater love, though I did try. Fish came on redfish magic and gulp shrimp. Water Sky Vertebrate Plant Lake

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
I'd much rather fish in my canoe. More room, better visibility....however they are difficult in the wind which of course usually blows pretty good at the coast. Thinking about one of the hybrid yaks like the Native for the coast. Seem to give the best of both worlds. Of course my buddies like when I have my canoe on camping trips because I get saddled with all the gear and weight!

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i love my canoe.same my buddy dont have a yak.so we took the canoe.we end up with a 20in red,19in flounder and put back a borderline 18in red.had about 4 break offs also View attachment 71905 View attachment 71906
I think we have the same yak from your profile pic. I love my yak at the beach but it wasn't as bad as I expected it to be in the canoe. We did get blown around a lot. I hopped off in the marsh and my buddy couldn't even get the canoe straight without me in it to help him paddle cause the wind was so bad.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice fish! Now let's see some real men take that canoe BTB.
Haha alright rooster when we gonna go? I'll take the back and you can sit up front and break the waves :D We had a boat throw up a huge wake on us and we made it over just fine so there's a little hope.

H2ohhh: I fished out of the canoe for years before I had the yak. The thing I hate about the canoe is trying to angle it right so that both people can fish. I'm very comfortable in the canoe though and I like it for slack water. I can fight current and wind much better in the yak though. The Surferdude brought a Nucanoe Frontier and it was perfect. Not a pad paddle and stable enough to stand up and walk around a little bit. He definitely could see a lot farther from his high seat then we could.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We were just talking yesterday about trying to find somewhere with grass that floods like that, most of our spots the grass is just above water level. Ever see any reds scooting through the grass? Canoes are definitely easier to get in and out of then a yak.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Oh this is funny stuff we fished right next to you guys I was in the red t140 my brother in the blue t120. We fed the sheepshead for hrs with nothing but some grunts. After we left where we saw you guys we headed to another spot in swansboro and finally hooked some good sheepshead and I got them all figured out now. I'll be headed back down Friday afternoon to go after reds and flounder. Glad you guys made out well

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Ol' swampin was pretty fat and happy in the backseat, but I got to see a close up of our front end going under on the way in! Took on very little water surprisingly. I'm convinced we could take that thing out to the Gulf Stream

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
Swampin I like your posts, and congrats on the reds. I was curious though, what makes a canoe more manish than a yak? Really though, my question isnt a competely serious one but just wondered. I've paddled both but I always feel like I'm gonna tip a canoe as opposed to a kayak, plus I feel like the yak is more maneuverable/less heavy to transport.

Love canoe river float trips, but wouldn't trade my Cuda for anything to fish inshore. I live pretty much at Topsail, and you're doing better than me on the Reds lately. Caught a trout and 3 short flounder on Sat.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Haha the title was more of a reference to the way Mack and some others feel about yaks. People have fished from canoes for centuries but yaks are a relatively new fishing fad. The tippiness of canoes is why I prefer my yak for coastal fishing and it made crossing the busy icw an adventure.

As for success, I had some good teachers for drum fishing. A few trips with Ncpierman and some people I know who taught me a lot. Plus I listen well and ask question of anyone who i think might have the patience to explain things to me.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.