NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend a good floatation vest for canoeing and kayaking?

My current vest is very old and I am looking for a new one.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,030 Posts
I'm actually looking for a new one too.... My existing one is a body glove brand that must weigh 10 lbs, and is bulky as heck. I see several nice ones that greatly reduce the bulk and should be cooler to wear, and impede my movement less than my current vest.

Now where to find one for a 60 inch chest.... that's the question. The local "Get outdoors" doesn't have a single vest in my size.

Reactions: gambusia

·
Registered
96 Posts
Mustang Survival PFD ...... These are the inflatables, either manual or auto...... May be a little pricey but the freedom of movement is what I am paying for (and keep me alive too).

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the Astral Ronny Fisher and it's a nice one. I like it a lot better than the Stohlquist Fisherman because the back is a lot slimmer. It has a fair amount of room for my phone and camera in the pockets and even comes with a rain hood tucked into the neck. I don't think it's really any hotter than the others as they are all going to be warm.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
All I can say is wear one....it does no good not on you...whatever kind you buy...that's the best water advice I can give anybody.

Reactions: gambusia

·
Registered
307 Posts
I highly recommend going to a place like Get Outdoors and trying on a few and sitting in a boat like the one you have, if they have it of course. I did just that the other day... Going into the store I was convinced I was going to get the Astral Ronny Fisher. But, after trying it on and sitting in an Ultimate (my kayak at home), I found I didn't care as much for it as I thought I would. I then proceeded to try on about 4 other PFDs and ended up taking home the NRS Chinook. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, but I never would've known if I'd bought online without testing a few out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
Curious as to why you didn't like the Astral with your Ultimate? I have the same boat and I think the Astral is a lot more comfortable than the Stohlquist I have with the high back pad. The Astral back is a consistent thickness and make is a lot better for me.

·
Registered
307 Posts
One of the biggest things wasn't the padding, it was the lack of lower belt at the bottom of the pfd. I have an old Lotus Designs whitewater pfd that I used for a long time that had the lower belt. I find the belt helps keep the pfd from riding up all day... To be rather blunt, I'm fat, and if I can cinch that belt around my waist, the pfd stays put. As soon as I sat down with the astral on, it wanted to start coming up. The NRS chinook has a lower belt and thus stayed put. Furthermore, the high back clears the seat back allowing me to get full enjoyment out of the first class seat (the main reason I never wore the Lotus anymore).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
296 Posts
That makes sense. I too am of the larger waist type but I haven't noticed the vest riding up. However, I usually sit on the Captains Perch on the back of my seat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts