NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been blessed with some awesome fishing time and conditions recently, but haven't sat down to post in some time. Here is a quick summary of recent trips & results. My wife and I have been fishing the lower Cape Fear area from Wrightsville to OI. We have fished creeks, marshes, inlets, docks, flats, just behind the breakers and near shore wrecks and reefs. Overall, the fall fishing has been really good. We have caught many flounder and trout inside and over-slot drum inside and out.

The best flounder bite for us has been at creek mouths on the bottom half of the fall, fishing plastics with Pro-Cure. Water Sky Smile Sleeve Gesture
Water Sky Shorts Sleeve Bermuda shorts

The trout bite has been best on grass lines and current rips around islands and bars and it has been good on all tide stages. The trout have had a strong preference lately for hard baits (x-rap & mr17) with color not making much difference. A few have been caught on paddle tails, but MANY more on suspending twitch baits.
Water Smile Vertebrate Sky Sunglasses
Vertebrate Food Seafood Smile Fin

We haven't caught the slot drum inside that we hoped to, but the conditions seem to just keep getting better, so we're hoping to crack the code on that soon.

The old drum have come from the ocean, while fishing live large menhaden on Owen Lupton rigs that I make myself. We don't weigh or measure these majestic old fish and handle quickly, revive and return. We will take an occasional photo, but for us, it's all about cleanly releasing a healthy fish to give someone else the thrill that only that battle can provide. If you want to put a smile on someone's face, I'd suggest that!
Water Sky Smile Fisherman Outdoor recreation

Hope you're all getting out to enjoy some fine fall fishing!

BTJ

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
Congrats on some great fishing and catching.

Just got back from a couple of days in the same area.
I'd like to add that the trout for the past couple of days have preferred shrimp style baits. I was tossing a STORM shrimp in clear with a orange belly and they would inhale the bait. We did catch a few on MR17s or Paul Brown Soft dines but they wanted the shrimp.

On Tuesday the winds shifted and lots of stained water. We caught trout on MR17 in 808 BG but most again came on shrimp in Chartreuse color.

So have multiple baits and be prepared to change with conditions. Fish are there and you just have to beat a few bushes or open areas on big flats to find fish.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Glad to hear you found the fish, Scott and thanks for the info. We are going to try again soon, so I'll check my shrimp stock.

BTJ
Congrats on some great fishing and catching.

Just got back from a couple of days in the same area.
I'd like to add that the trout for the past couple of days have preferred shrimp style baits. I was tossing a STORM shrimp in clear with a orange belly and they would inhale the bait. We did catch a few on MR17s or Paul Brown Soft dines but they wanted the shrimp.

On Tuesday the winds shifted and lots of stained water. We caught trout on MR17 in 808 BG but most again came on shrimp in Chartreuse color.

So have multiple baits and be prepared to change with conditions. Fish are there and you just have to beat a few bushes or open areas on big flats to find fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.