NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a bubbler for a 5 gallon bucket the other day from Wal-Mart. Supposed to run 44 hours on 2 D batteries. I filled the bucket half full of water and kept 4 bream alive the other night for several hours while catfishing. It sits behind my seat in my tankwell. Its quite challenging to turn around in your seat and catch a lively bream in your kayak the other night I found out so I'm open to advice about that lol. The bucket has a top on it with a flip up lid with air holes etc. so its not like the whole top of the bucket is open. My question is has anyone rigged up a recirculating system? It would be quite easy to gorilla tape some line into one of the tankwell scuppers I think... I will be using live bait for flathead fishing and I hope to possibly use it for mullet for flounder fishing. Night time i'm not really too concerned about the water getting hot in there but during the day in the summer a simple recirculating system would be the ticket..

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have one. But I just dislike dragging stuff behind me. Also if I'm on the neuse I don't always catch my bait on the neuse. Would bream survive 10-20 minutes in a flow troll that wasn't in the water? But I guess if I rig up a recirculating system I will still need the bubbler to get me to the river with live bait.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Made this one this eve. Got the idea off the Web and it's a great idea for trident 13 owners as the front area of the tank well on a trident 13 is made for one of these plano boxes. Yet another reason for the T13. The bubbler is made for up to 7 gallons and I figure the plano to be around 2.5 gallons so I'm confident it will keep bait ok as long as I keep the water cool. I can keep extra batteries or other small tools in the compartment in the lid. I can still fit my old milk crate with all its gear in the same place I've always kept it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
the problem using a closed system for live bait is the stress "chemicals" they give off. It taints the water. ( I know I am not being scientific here with my terms but the basics are accurate). The second issue is heat. A frozen bottle of water dropped in can help with the heat but the best way to keep long term live bait is to have a circulating system so you are drawing in fresh water and purging the old even if its done intermittently.

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I believe it. I want to have some sort of big cup I can just dip a few cups out and change some of the water now and then. Also I only want to keep bait for several hours at a time at most. Not going to buy bait and then try to keep it alive all day. I mostly want to throw a few small bream in there for cattin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.