NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, its time to do the brakes on my wife's '05 Town and Country minivan. Not being mechanically inclined, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a mechanic/shop that would do brakes, without wanting to sell me new tires, a new air filter, new transmission, etc... located in the triangle (Durham or Chapel Hill preferred, but I am willing to drive into Raleigh to get this done)

Back in Tucson I always took my cars to this really great mechanic who I felt went the extra mile, but this would be the first non-dealership service this car needs here in NC.

Thanks in advance

Eric

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I've gotten my last two at an unnamed major US retailer, who often has automotive centers near their mall anchor stores. The first experience was good. I had a bad brake shimmy. They checked them out and only did fronts on my truck. No upsell. The other I am not so happy with - had squealing from worn pads on my wife's SUV - did all 4 wheels with new pads & machined rotors and the vibration squealing is now far worse than the pad indicator squealing ever was. Took it back once and they made it a little better, but still not happy. Going to have to go back again. Luckily there's a mall nearby to kill time in...

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Park Auto Service is on Chin Page Road, south of S. Miami Blvd, between I-40 and IBM's 500 complex. It's south of the swamp, if you know where I'm talking about. I've taken both cars there several times and never felt I was being upsold, and I've never had a dud job like Jeff describes.

PM me if you'd like their phone #.

·
Registered
113 Posts
So, its time to do the brakes on my wife's '05 Town and Country minivan. Not being mechanically inclined, I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation for a mechanic/shop that would do brakes, without wanting to sell me new tires, a new air filter, new transmission, etc... located in the triangle (Durham or Chapel Hill preferred, but I am willing to drive into Raleigh to get this done)

Back in Tucson I always took my cars to this really great mechanic who I felt went the extra mile, but this would be the first non-dealership service this car needs here in NC.

Thanks in advance

Eric
Chapel Hill Tire (near Farrington) on 15/501 just south of Chapel Hill and tell them Jimmy at Crossroads Ford sent you. Chapel Hill Tire is one of my best customers in that area.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I love the fact we have an auto tech class. Had my front brakes done for next to nothing. They got a grade and a little spending money as they were learning a profession.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They got a grade and a little spending money as they were learning a profession.
So, what happens if the student working on your car gets a 'D' for this particular assignment? :rolleyes:

Thanks all for the answers. I think I am gonna try Lefty's suggestion, since that is really close to where I work.

-Eric

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I fixed everythng that burned gas in high school shop class. My shop teacher even let me be his assistant and take my studyhall in his class so I could fix cars/mowers/tractors etc for teachers and friends. I made a good little chunk of change on "unoficial" tips too!!..LOL...
Good thing with a shop class is the instructor wont let it leave if it isnt right...

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
That's what I was about to say drop. When a student doesn't do something correct then the teacher who is a certified ASE mechanic corrects this mistake before it leaves. Lets the kids learn hands on. And that's the best learning. (I also had the kid with the highest average do my car.:D)

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I had a pretty sweet deal my Senior year. English ( only credit I needed ) had a mean english teacher!! then FFA then Autoshop then Study period then Teaching ASST all with my shop/FFA teacher. My FFA teacher would "loan" me out to woodworking if I needed to do any woodwork..LOL!! I painted his Farmall and rebult his VW bug motor that year too...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.