NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Just wondering if there are any recommendations on a good Saltwater fly reel to use in the Sounds/Creeks. I posted a couple of Okuma Fly and spinning reels in the "Reviews" section as an example of products that could be reviewed. If you have specific reels (and other tackle) that you'd like to start a review of that would be great. If you can't find a picture of the product to upload go ahead and list the product and start a review. I'll find a picture to add.

All that said if anyone has used the Okuma fly reels I'd be very interested in your review of them in the Reviews section. I have several Okuma lever and spinning reels and like them a lot. I have never fly fished before though (got a trip scheduled with Capt. Gary in May!) so let me know what to look for. Thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I am aware of that. My point was you get the same drag system with the lamson while not paying the premium for the waterworks. Also the lamson gives you a beefier reel because of their spool/frame design as oppsed to the spool/arm design of the waterworks. That sais the waterworks still is one slick looking reel:cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
I thought I would add a comment on Lamson. I have owned a Litespeed 3.5 for several years. I noticed the drag was not operating as smoothly as it should and upon inspection found that saltwater had seeped into the guts of the reel and caused corrosion. The Waterworks people were great to deal with and promptly repaired (at no charge) and returned my reel. Great performance, great customer service, in my book that translates into great value. I am putting together a Bahamas back-up rod and will use a Lamson Velocity on it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have been Fly Fishing for tarpon for many years. The best reels for the money are Fin-Nor reels. The are simple and very efective with good cork drags. The Old Florida reels are also hard to beat. If money is not and object take a look at the Sea Master reels. These reels are hands down the best salt water flyreels made a true life long investment in a qulity piece of workman ship. I have many 150+lb. Tarpon to my credit and have used all of these reels myself.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I'm hoping to buy a fly reel this spring and was reviewing this old post. anyone else want to add some recommendations for a slatwater fly reel?

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mike--Whatcha gonna be fishing fer??

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Bonito, False Albies in the ocean and puppy drum inshore. I was thinking either an 8 or 9 weight but not sure what brands/features to look for. I plan to build a St. Croix moderate/fast fly rod to put it on. But any suggestyions are welcomed.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Mike---If I were looking to buy a new fly reel for what you intend to use it for and just getting started sw fly fishing, I would look closely at the Okuma Helios 8/9. I do not own one but I would purchase it if I needed another fly reel. Maybe someone else can jump in here. Just make sure it has smooth drag and will hold ample backing. Don't forget the mahi and Spanish, they're a hoot on flies also. When the water and weather warms up, it's a short ride from Hampstead to Atlantic by the back roads. Let's get together and do some "chucking and ducking". I'll furnish the flies.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Thanks Forrest - I appreciate the advice. I'll definetely take a hard look at the Okuma Helios. I'd love to get together with you this spring for some fly fishing. Just keep in mind, I'm raw meat when it comes to fly fishing. I'm hooked on it though.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Just like any other fishing .....find a bunch of feeding fish and it don't really matter what your skill level is...just as long as you don't spook them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just wanted to say that I have several S.T.H flyfishing reels and three Ross reels that do just fine for Saltwater fishing that I have been using for the past few years and have never had any problems with them.
My Riptide I think I like the most for Sailfishing ...

I take good care of my reels after using them I wash them and go though them with a good cleaning and check the gears and grease them lightly.

My S.T.H reels are over twenty years old and are in great shape to this day.

Hope this helps.
Aguaazul1.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I have used the Okuma Intergrity 8/9 reel in Salt to catch Snook and Redfish. The multi disc cork drags have held up quite well. I plan to buy a 9wt and put a Helios on it. I think the Okuma are great values that won't break the bank. Obviously the key to making any saltwater reel last is cleaning and maintenance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts