NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have made a seine from an old tennis net with 3/8" mesh. It is 36 feet long. The law says it must be less than 30' to use without a license. I rolled the net up on one end making it 29 feet long. I attached a floating line on top, a sinking line on bottom, and a pulling stick on each end. I would have cut the net down to 29 feet but I was afraid the woven mesh would unravel. That's why I rolled it up to 29 feet and tied it. The whole device is 29'3" and will probably be difficult for two people, but we are going to try seining bait with it at Hatteras in mid October. I know the water will be cool. I know it will probably be easier to cast net all the finger mullet I want. I just want to try it. Anyone ever done it? Any advice about when and where besides having my head examined. If you see me at Cape Point or there abouts in mid October, don't laugh out loud, or at least not directly in my face. Help me up out of the sand, brush me off then we will laugh together.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Carpenter334--- No laughter from me. All good fishermen should have a seine or two. I rate them right amonst dynamite and crank telephones. I own one and have been known to catch shrimp with it as well as bait fish.:D

Seriously, if you get back on the sound side, it is a good method to catch bait and I have seen them used by many fishermen. If you use it on the ocean side your catch may be good enough that you may not need to do any fishing.

Good Luck, Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I hope you meant you had floats on the top line and sinkers on the bottom. You will need all the help you can get otherwise. If just a couple of people are fishing then yes the castnet is more convienent. But if you have to make a lot of bait for several people you are on the right track. Just remember to keep it fresh. If you plan on freezing it you might want to carry some non-iodized salt to brine them for several hours before freezing them. They should be less mushy when you thaw them out that way. I think the recipie is 6lbs salt to 5 gal seawater but that may be a little light on salt so check with an old pro before hand. 10 -12 hrs. in the brine sounds about right to me. It's been to long for me to tell someone else how much for how long but that seems close. It Maybe as much as 9lbs on the saltper 5 gal seawater. &[email protected] alzhimers. Good luck. AL

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I too have caught shrimp with a seine at Pawleys Island on the back side. I guess my motivation comes from my heritage of seining as a child with my grandfather and uncle. Pop owned a motel and restaurant near N. Myrtle Beach and Uncle Bud has always had seines and gill nets lying around in various states of disrepair. Thanks for the advice on brining bait for the freezer. I actually hope to bag and freeze some mullet to bring home for catfishing this winter. A few Pomps in the surf for dinner would be great too but I expect they will be dining on South Georgia sand fleas by then. The real reason I'm taking it is to have something to entertain me if the fishing is bad. All the materials were free, and yes those are sinkers on the bottom and round floats on the top. Ya'll come help pull!

Andy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.