NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have caught several red drum in the surf using mirrolures. I would like to catch some using Gulp on jig heads.
Few questions--
1. What size jig heads do you normally use on Gulp shrimp surf fishing?
2. Do you ever do a double rig using something like Gulp shrimp on the bottom and Gulp swimming mullet on the top? How about a rig like this for spec trout or flounder?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I have caught several red drum in the surf using mirrolures. I would like to catch some using Gulp on jig heads.
Few questions--
From 1/4 oz to 1 oz. bucktails.

2. Do you ever do a double rig using something like Gulp shrimp on the bottom and Gulp swimming mullet on the top?
I never fish a double rig for Reds.
And always a circle hook for bait with either a Fish Finder rig, Carolina rig.
You can substitute Gulp for bait.

How about a rig like this for spec trout or flounder?

Thanks
MirrOlures for Trout.
Jig heads with Gulp or another soft plastic will catch all 3 species.
Live bait or Gulps for Flounders.
Hope this helps. ....... ICM

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Few questions--
2. Do you ever do a double rig using something like Gulp shrimp on the bottom and Gulp swimming mullet on the top? How about a rig like this for spec trout or flounder?

Thanks

My idea of drum fishing is different than probably a lot of people here when it comes to the surf. I'm not targeting slot or below slot drum. In fact I want them to stay away from my bait. It's the mamas and papas I want. Primarily a homemade single hook leader made with 100 pound mono leader line. no roll weight. Most times running a Half or whole crab on an 8/0- 12/0 hook, or even a nice 4-6" inch long piece of mullet sides cut in a long tapering triangle shape. Another bait I like is a corncob mullet.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I caught a 26 inch red Saturday night using a double hook rig with 3 inch mullet fillets . Caught 2 trout and a 15.5 inch flounder . same rig same bait ... #4 kahle hooks
Hey if it works keep on using it.
Just not my preferred way. ......... ICM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.