NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a beautiful day today on the water! Winds finally died down some and it was warm and sunny. Went out this afternoon and caught a few Specks and two slot size drum. The first one was 19" . Then a few hours later, caught this nice 25 1/2" fish weighing almost 7 pounds on a live finger mullet.

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Checked out your article. The theiving birds are a common occurance. When I was in Jr High and High school, I'd slip down to the culvert across the street from the Elem. School in Cape C and catch minnows before going to the ferry docks to fish. sometimes you'd have to do a little bushwhacking to get to the schools of baitfish. This meant toting a 2 buckets. ! main bucket to leave by the road and a smaller to take thru the bushes. I had made a couple good throws and took out most of a good sized school. I probably had 4 or 5 dozen minnows, but still wanted another throw of the net. Went through the bushes to chase the school, only to turn around and see a 3 1/2 foot tall blue heron with his head in my 5 gal. ait bucket. :eek: I screamed and cussed, threw pine cones, by the time I got back to the bucket there were only a half dozen left.:rolleyes: Birdy Buffet!

Since you caught fish, I would not shoot the dog yet. Just assume he saved you from another blue fish strike.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
hampstead - Were you using a carolina rig for your live mullet or a similar style rig? I really want to get into red drum fishing but don't know too much about it. I also got a chance to get out this weekend and got a nice gray trout today.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, I was using a Carolina rig with a circle hook (less likely to gut hook them with that style hook). If you want to keep one, remember that the slot is 18"-27", no smaller, no bigger and you are allowed one per day. They are a blast to catch, especially when they get to the upper end of the slot and bigger. Took me almost 15 mintues to get that guy in on a fast action, med. light power spinning combo with 10 pound test.

Another popular Drum Rig is the Capt. Owen Lupton Drum Rig, but I only use it in the surf. It uses a three way swivel with a very short leader between the swivel and the circle hook and the weight is connected directly to the swivel ring. They are available for sale on the eStore section of this web site.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.