NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with these baits? I hope that I have the correct name. Saw them on TV today. They were fishing in Texas for Redfish and Trout.

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Re: Redfish Magic Zooloo

bass pro carries them (Strike King Redfish Magic Zulu), $3.49 for a 4 pack. looks like you'd fish it much like a Gulp! Jerk Shad? e.g., on a jig head, with a weighted hook, etc. the promotional blurb on BPS says it is "a terror on top water" (perhaps with an unweighted hook?).

fyi - joel

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

yes you "free line " them with a 5/0 circle hook or use them with jigheads and bounce/jerk them. They float so they will have more action than a regular grub or jerkshad... More like a shrimp or minnow feeding and picking the bottom...

·
Registered
476 Posts

I fished them for the first time in late November and we caught puppy after puppy with them. We took off the soft plastic that came with them and put on a charturze green gulp. I am going to try one tomorrow from the little bridge in Nags Head.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts

Just for clarification - Redfish Magic is a spinnerbait made by a company called Strike King. Redfish Magic Zulu is a softbait made by the same company. The Spinnerbait has been around a while but the zulu is fairly new. The Spinnerbait usually comes with a soft plastic shad or what they call a glass minnow. Now they introduced the Zulu. It can be bought separately of course.

Hope that helps clear up any confusion.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
The freshwater Zulu is/was a super plastic bait - super high stretch, super floater. Very supple plastic that is sort of "self-healing" and pretty much won't tear. Hard to keep from balling up on the hook. Screw-in head (ie. hitch-hiker) or circle/octopus nose hook was a pretty good option.

Not sure if the saltwater version has the same super plastic characteristics or if its a more traditional plastic formula.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Thanks Topsail Angler, everyone was going on about the trailer and I know the Redfish Majic is a spinnerbait, threw to many of these bad boys on the islands in the ICW around Topsail and surrounding waters.:D

These spinnerbaits are built of better quality than more spinnerbaits that bass fishermen use. They can take the abuse of the power drives that reds are notorius for, man I love catching these fish. :cool:

To steal a few secrets from the bass world that does work in the salt is this:

**Wake the bait,, cast and as soon as the bait hits the water start reeling and get your rod tip up, reel just fast enough that the blade makes a wake on top of the water

**Cast out and then let the lure fall just until you cannot see the bait usually 2-3 feet, if the water is deep enough. and then reel a few turns and then do a quick pause, this causes the bait to move and then fall as injured which makes the spinner jump and flash different.

After a while the fish will tell you which way they want the bait to come to them. :cool:

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have tried them was not very impressed color selection isnt that good and not very durable

I am hooked on Norton Sand eels and Norton bull minnows along with TTF trout killers and redfish killers

these plastics are alot more durable and have better color selection

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.