NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, just wondering what anyone can suggest for a good live bait and artificial setup for reds in the surf. Looking for something that can handle big reds but still have fun with some slot reds as well.

Also so if anyone can give me advice on what Artificials and rigs to use for live bait. Thanks

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
You will need two completely different setups, heavy long outfit for casting bait for Old ( Bull ) Reds & another lighter outfit for throwing Gulp, spoons & lures for Puppy Drum.
If you do a search on this site you will see what I referring too.
Then we can answer all your questions with a better understanding. …. ICM

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need two completely different setups, heavy long outfit for casting bait for Old ( Bull ) Reds & another lighter outfit for throwing Gulp, spoons & lures for Puppy Drum.
If you do a search on this site you will see what I referring too.
Then we can answer all your questions with a better understanding. …. ICM
Im working with a 7'6 medium with a battle 3k for live bait. Not sure if that will be enough. I can use my inshore setups for the smaller ones hoping it will cast far enough

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Im working with a 7'6 medium with a battle 3k for live bait. Not sure if that will be enough. I can use my inshore setups for the smaller ones hoping it will cast far enough
Not for Bulls Reds, way to small.
Perfect for Puppy Drum & other smaller species. …. ICM

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Found a outfit for the bull reds and a rig but not too sure about the leader and leader connections. Not sure if I should go with mono or fluro for the leader what what pound test. Also not sure what knots to tie to my braid connection (usually do a uni to uni) and what knot to do with a big leader to the hook (usually do polomar). Both knots have held great for the inshore upper slots but not sure if it will hold with the thick line and bull reds

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If you search the forum there have been some recent discussions from myself and quest4reds. We are basically attempting to get to the same place you are. The following is what I have gleaned from the web. Before you go out buying to much. Check out the following and then look at what you have, to see if you can fulfill the needs of any of the basic 3 rod setup. Basic being relative.

First rod would be your bait getter. Something that can handle 3-4oz. Use a double hook bottom rig with shrimp, blood worms, cut bait, squid, clams, sand fleas, crabs....... Catch small stuff like spot, pinfish, mullet, ... for use on your heaver.

Second rod is something you have setup for plugging. You can chunk anything like gulp on a jig, spoons, and other artificial plugs. Do some flounder jigging. Or have a plug on waiting for a blitz to show up in casting distance and such. This needs to be able to handle the weight of the plugs you plan to cast.

Third is your "Heaver" or drum rod or as I read.... your 8 & Bait rod. I believe that is a North Hatteras terminology. So put your weight requirement here. Seems the more north you go up the outer banks the rougher the water can be. So you would need a rod that can toss the combined weight of your weight and bait. In that case 8 oz of weight to hold plus your 6 oz mullet??? So a rod that can go to 14 oz.

For rod one you can get away with your standard pier rod. 6 - 8', 2-4oz capacity, moderate action rod. A reel that fits the rod. Maybe a 4500 size. And you can go mono on this with no prob.

For rod 2 you are going to fling anywhere up to a couple/few ounces. Over and over again. All day and night. Hopefully this will be interrupted with the occasional fish. The bigger and badder your stick... the farther you might cast. Depending on the length of the rod your looking at a 4500 - 5500 reel for balance. Think about the weight of this setup. You could be casting all day with it. It being a 7 - 9' Fast action Medium rod. 20 - 30 pound Power Pro Braid is the choice here. 20 will cast farther than 30. This is a rod people want to reach out there with. The farther the better. This is a rod that the Long Cast reels are good for. Like a Shimano Ultegra.

Rod three is your Heaver. Here your looking at 9+ feet Moderate H or XH with an 8000 Shimano Bait Runner reel. This allows you to leave your heaver in the rod holder with a lighter drag so the fish don't drag your setup off when it hits. hahahaha. Once you get a fish on you engage the drag via some sort of lever. Reel of choice here is the 8000 Shimano Bait Runner. 30 lb braid should cover you but you can go as big as will fit the reel.

I am a nutter and I have a son going (at least he's paying for his rods). And I need all 3 setups minus the reel for the heaver. My son needs the casting and heaver rods but has reels for them. My son went last year and has a start.

A decent priced highly rated rod is the Tica Dolphin. Everything I read says there's guide issues with the lesser models. But this one is rock solid. I am ordering a pair of the 9' MH Fast 2-6 oz as our plug rods. Then the 11' XH Fast 6 - 12 oz as our Heavers. I can't beat the price to good comment ratio. I need a reel for the plugging rod and will be getting the Shimano Ultegra 5500. This is a long cast spinning reel. There are other cheaper ones like it. But it's my choice eh. I gave in on rod cost. I want the St Croix Legend Surf Rod, was going to settle for the Mojo Surf and am getting the Tica Dolphin.

Go through your stuff and see if you can find something that will meet the general requirements of any parts of the 3 rods. Then fill in from there. And you can live with a Heaver and a bait/plugging rod. You just don't have a dedicated bait or plugging rod.

The idea is to get out there. The rest will take care of itself.

mike

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately I don't have enough money for three setups. I won't be throwing full mullet either. Probably finger mullet or cut bait with a 1-3oz surf weight. I'm looking at a 9ft rod and a 4000 size reel

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
We normal only fish 1 rod & hold it no sand spiking in knee deep water.

This is what we do to target Old Drum / Bull Reds from the beach with a Hatteras 11' rods or longer, conventional reels spooled with 17# mono ( fish mono in a crowd, never braid ).
60# shock leader about 2 rod lengths to prevent break offs when casting 8oz. sinker, 150# swivel with beads both sides, to a short 3 " bite leader of 60 to 80#. 7.0 to 9.0 circle hook. Basic fish finder rig.

Will post pictures at a later date. …. ICM

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.