NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to try running down the beaches around the Oak Island area to see if I can find some schools of drum off the beach or on the shoals around Lockwood Folly. I have read a lot about this time of year being a good time to try it when the conditions are right. Looks like it should be pretty calm on Thursday and Friday so my buddy and I are thinking about heading down to give it a go.

Anyone have any advice on how to spot schools from the boat when running down the shore, what to look for, baits, etc?

Any help would be appreciated as I've never tried it before but it sounds like fun!

·
Registered
3,497 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offense taken ICM, been following this board for a while and certainly respect your opinion.

I didn't necessarily mean trying to test the shoals that was poor wording, I know it can get hairy there real quick.

I was mainly asking about cruising the beach for schools of reds. Is that not an option in the oak island / bald head area?

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
I don't fish that surf often enough to offer advice.

Wind direction is a key to locating them & to insure your safety. Not sure what wind direction is best.
Sun at your back also helps. Blue bird day are key. ....... ICM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.