NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a good friend (Chris) join me today to search for his first Red. We headed south to fish the Pamlico and started searching few miles north of Swan Quarter. It was not long before we got into some action. I rounded a grass point into a small cove and my jaw dropped! There had to be 75-100 reds pushing and rolling on top in less than 1 ft of water. I handed Chris a rod with a Z-Man paddle tail and I started casting an Aqua Dream spoon. Chris got smashed right away and boated a nice 26" red, his first one. I remember him saying, "man, that's was cool!" After the first one we threw baits on top of reds, beside reds and in front of reds...nothing! Chris did catch 2 nice flounder in 10" of water :rolleyes: right under the reds. After about a hour of frustration I left them. Not 20 minutes later I found more! This time it was a larger class of reds. Again in a small cove about 50 yards wide. There were reds stacked on top of each other, 3 or 4 reds side by side, tails out of the water...25-35" fish. I thought man, I just hit a home run! I tried paddle tails, jerk baits, top water, spoons, poppin cork, MR17, and a few more lures. The only thing I didn't throw was the durn outboard! I had reds bumping into the trolling motor shaft! Chris finally got smashed o a popping cork with a DOA shrimp. That was the only strike we got in 2 solid hours of staying with these fish! I've never been so excited and frustrated at the same time. After we got home and cleaned Chris' fish I had to know, belly full of small fiddlers! Awesome show on the Pamlico this morning and got another buddy his first red drum!

Attachments

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Great photos. Sorry more did not want to play. I have had the same thing happen while Bass fishing, fish all over the place, but no biters on my lures.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Very cool to see that many Reds at once.

If they're bumping into them with your trolling motor you're way too close.
Long, very long cast will have maybe put more Reds in the boat. ...... ICM

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
You are a lucky man. I've been paddling around every day and have yet to see the first school.
Back on topic, is it possible these fish are spawning? I don't know the specific area so it may not be a spawning ground but if no then why would they be so picky. So many threads here with post about reds being so easy to catch once found???
Please understand I AM NOT BEING critical when I say that there is so much conflicting information and opinion about what works and when. A recent post about spoons for example. Dark spoon in dark water. Next post dark spoon in clear water. Use contrasting artificials. Don't use contrasting. Whatever works is the idea but I find it interesting that so many successful fisherman have conflicting opinions. Don't flame me-this is just an observation of fact

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
833 Posts
You are a lucky man. I've been paddling around every day and have yet to see the first school.
Back on topic, is it possible these fish are spawning? I don't know the specific area so it may not be a spawning ground but if no then why would they be so picky. So many threads here with post about reds being so easy to catch once found???
Please understand I AM NOT BEING critical when I say that there is so much conflicting information and opinion about what works and when. A recent post about spoons for example. Dark spoon in dark water. Next post dark spoon in clear water. Use contrasting artificials. Don't use contrasting. Whatever works is the idea but I find it interesting that so many successful fisherman have conflicting opinions. Don't flame me-this is just an observation of fact

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
If your too close to them, they may sit right there and continue to stay schooled and active but a million different things could turn their predatory behavior in a negative. It could be anything from actions of the angler to the actual characteristics of the boat, even different factors in the environment that may not have been noted could have been affecting the fish negatively. It's almost impossible to tell without being there but at least you found them that is 95% of the battle. I'm on my way to work right now but ill chime in and get a little more details later

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The "old drum" are spawners. These fish were tailing and prob feeding and digging crabs. When you find them doing this it is sometimes very difficult to get them to eat. Natural bait, although I very rarely use it is sometimes the best bet to draw a strike. The enviroment In witch they are in and mood has alot to do with it too as linc said. But yes finding them is the hard part and you did that. I'd say stay far away and give them something natural. A crab quarter has been my go to in this situation. Get a few nice crabs. Take off the shell. Cut the legs off and cut it into quarters. Couple of split shots and make a long cast over the school. Work it back to the boat slowly leaving it in place for a minute or two along the way. Good luck and the ones you caught were nice fish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate yall's suggestions and I agree! I do want to clarify...I didn't run up into the drum. I stayed a long cast distance out of them. There were just so many and so active they were all over the place, including next to the boat at times. The only time I have "bait" is when my feet are in the sand. Maybe I should reconsider!

Anybody tried the DOA or Z-Man crabs??

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Gotcha. I've see. Some of your reports and wasn't knocking you on ability at all. Jus take a chicken neck next time and get a couple of crabs and it could help. Or maybe not. Haha. Never used any crab impersonation baits so can't help on that one.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I love those little DOA crabs, but my favorite is the exude Cajun crab. They have a little spot for a jig head. Awesome baits when drum are rooting around feeding on crabs and you're able to sight cast to them. Not very effective as a search bait though. A little crab scent helps them a lot too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I love those little DOA crabs, but my favorite is the exude Cajun crab. They have a little spot for a jig head. Awesome baits when drum are rooting around feeding on crabs and you're able to sight cast to them. Not very effective as a search bait though. A little crab scent helps them a lot too.
I'll check them out Trigger, thanks

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I'll add that with the DOA crab you don't impart any action to the bait other than a twitch here and there. It's best fished in a tidal area (I would use the Exude in the Pamlico Sound). You want to cast upstream of the fish and just let it drift back to them naturally. Awesome baits, but hard to fish.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I've always shied away from the crab imitations cause the legs look like a peckerfish's dream come true. Just figgered they'd be nothing more than a disc after a few seconds in the water ....... but didn't consider sight casting only. Guess I'll just have to add bait #1001 to the collection. Thanks for the suggestion, I think:eek:.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Bass tubes...you can scent them with procure. One lure can realllyyyyy look like a crab if dragged, a shrimp if popped, or exactly like a mud minnow if bumped slowly. The tentacles are great for scent gel and if you shake it a little like a worm...the tentacles actually rise up like a crabs claw when hes defensive.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well...I'm off tomorrow and forecast is ideal again. I cant stand it, heading back down, this time armed with some peelers and blue crab. Hope I can locate them again. Trying to get a buddy or 2 to call in sick and donate to the fuel bill haha.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Bass tubes...you can scent them with procure. One lure can realllyyyyy look like a crab if dragged, a shrimp if popped, or exactly like a mud minnow if bumped slowly. The tentacles are great for scent gel and if you shake it a little like a worm...the tentacles actually rise up like a crabs claw when hes defensive.
SHHHHHH!!!!:p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts