NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend & I went to the same spot as I did on Sunday. Kept 1 red apiece, 20" & 22" The job requires me to take at least one day off during the week, giving me the opportunity to fish the nice days.
Man! Have you ever seen it this nice in the wintertime here! If it stays like this, I will hate to see summer come.

Bruce

·
Registered
30 Posts
A red is a red drum. Pic of one beside my name. Several different names for it. A few I know are puppy drum, redfish, red drum. Great big ol chunk of good fish meat and gives a great fight!

I actually just got done searching trying to figure it out too. I knew what a red drum and a puppy drum was but never heard of a redfish...........figured it was a red drum but I searched to make sure......then I came across your question so there ya go!

You dont have to go far out for em.........they can be found in creeks, inshore, offshore, etc. There is a size limit of 18" to 27" that you can keep......otherwise throw em back. 1 per day per person limit also. They can get up to 100 lbs I believe but those are offshore.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Great job. You had a great day while the rest of us suffered here on land. Guess that means your Fishing IQ is pretty high. LOL

·
Registered
489 Posts
A few I know are puppy drum, redfish, red drum.
When I was younger, way back in the 60's some folks called them Channel Bass. I think I am right about this. Don't know though. Memory isn't what it use to be. :confused: At the Outer Banks, I have seen anglers walking down the beach with these giant fish, and the tails would be dragging in the sand. This was a time before size limits or slots or catch limits. My largest was caught from the surf in Surf City on Topsail Island two years ago. It measured 44 inches, and took 25 minutes to land with my bottom rig and 10 lb test line. She walked me down the beach almost a quarter mile before I got her to the breakers. When I first hooked the beauty, I thought it was a big ray. I was fishing for sea mullets using a bottom rig and sand fleas. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.